5 Clubs You Didn’t Know Existed At UMD

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

The Argentine Tango Club

President: David Chorvinsky 

Are you a dancer at heart but don’t know how to express your mad skills or just want to learn a few new dance moves? The Argentine Tango club may be the place for you! The club was established in 2006 and strives to teach all interested students in learning the dance of tango.  They also host social events with the DC Tango Community.  They have lessons, taught by Jake Spatz, every Friday from 3-5 pm. If you are ready to show a crowd your dance moves, weekly practical dances are held on Tuesdays, 8-10 pm in TerpZone.

College Park League of Legends

President: Reza Mahmud

Are you a fan of League of Legends, magic, and wizards? Are you looking for a competitive gaming club? This is the club for you! The goal of this club is to establish a friendly and competitive environment while crushing the competition with power and magic. The club hope to connect and create new friendships among fellow University of Maryland gamers. Each member gets to choose his or her desired skill level. In-house games are every Tuesday 7-9 p.m. as well as many viewing parties and other events.

President: Vincent Bennett

Are you all about eating and hanging with friends?  This club may be for you.  The club’s goal is for it’s members to create bonds while sharing meals and playing volleyball, corn hole, and other barbecue activities.  Everyone is welcome, bring your friends, boyfriend, girlfriend, sister, dog, cat…all are welcome!  As long as you are down for eating, making new friends, and playing some games you will fit right in!

The Underground of UMD 

President: Jean-Luque Zephir

Do you dabble in video games or know all of the gaming systems ever created?  You may want to keep reading to get in on one of the top video game clubs on campus!  This club represents the video game community at UMD. They are known for their wide variety of games and have access to the PlayStation 3, Nintendo Wii and XBOX 3.  They welcome console, handheld, PC, and card gamers.  They also support action anime groups.

Rooftop Community Garden

President: Scott Carrus

Does urban agriculture and food justice education fascinate you?  The rooftop community garden explores where our food comes from and how to grow, preserve, prepare and eat food in a way that is culturally appropriate and regenerative to our environment.  You don’t need a green thumb in order to be apart of this community, just a fascination on where our food comes from.