4.0: Your GPA and Elliptical Incline

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Dragging yourself to an 8 a.m. and a long day of classes and meetings ahead, the last thing you want to do is hit the gym for an hour run.  Or maybe after running around all day, you think you already put in enough exercise to pass as a workout. However, that is not enough for our college bodies!

College students often neglect the gym on a consistent and healthy schedule. Sure, a week filled with exams is more important than 30 minutes on the elliptical, but exercise should be a part of our normal schedule.

Other than looking great in that new bikini on the beach this summer, exercising has its own perks that you can’t always see. According to Health Discovery, exercise helps prevent the chances of being affected by cancer, diabetes, and heart disease. It will also help you get a better night’s rest.

The National Sleep Foundation says that combining good workouts, diets, and sleep will help you get closer to your 4.0 goal. It’s hard to realize that because everyone’s wiped out after a workout, but it gives you natural energy from all the adrenaline your body pumps out. You enjoy being alert from your own energy rather than a venti coffee from Starbucks that I’m sure we’re all guilty of.

Stressed from exams? Rather than taking it out on your roommate, exercise is a great “punching bag”. Throw on your sneaker and feel the stress lift of your shoulders. Mindtools.com states that while you exercise, you release endorphins into your blood stress, giving you a sense of happiness.

Even though Ben and Jerry’s, your snuggie, and a marathon of the Office is just as satisfying, it will give you a false sugar burst and you’ll take in some empty calories you might regret later. An hour’s workout will beat those calories out of your system and get you feeling revived and ready to tackle your next project.

One of the best things you can immediately benefit from with exercising regularly is that you don’t have to be so careful about what you eat! Of course, you shouldn’t go to Stamp and get one of everything from everywhere in the food court, but you get to give yourself more credit. You can start to eat things like big burgers or at buffets without feeling as guilty at the end of the day.

The way the calories go in is a lot different than how the calories go out- your body will always be burning calories, even when you’re asleep! But burning those extra calories will never hurt your body and will help you get a better edge on controlling your weight.

Still need some motivation? Grab some of your closest friends and make the gym your next hangout place. While Yogiberry is always up for a treat, mix things up and work on your beach body with friends that you’ll be at the beach with! If that isn’t enough motivation, use exercising as an excuse to shop. A couple of extra pairs of neon running shorts and a new tank or two could never fit your closet at a more perfect time.