16 Thoughts We All Have While Shopping for Christmas Gifts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

There is little in life more stressful than the act of last-ditch effort holiday shopping for your loved ones. One minute you are completely enamored by the gift of giving, and the next you realize you know nothing about the people you love and this is NOT going to be as easy as you once thought.

No matter whom you are shopping for this season, the Christmas college girl thought process is universal and when all the spending starts, we all believe:   

1. Yes! Now that I finally have a job, I am going to get everyone I know the BEST. GIFT. EVER!

2. …Strike that. I just went online and the expenses are really adding up, jah feel?

3. No problem! I will just make a meticulous list of everything I can buy, complete with a detailed financial plan. Call me frugal friend because I know how to stretch a dollar.

4. And I will even sell all my books back to BookHolders for a little extra pocket money.  

5. Dog toys? A snow globe? I mean, when have I ever even seen Mom eat chocolate-covered coffee beans? Maybe I should watch one of those holiday gift guide YouTube videos for some better ideas.

6. Interesting, do you think college kids appreciate homemade room décor?

7. Wait, does anyone appreciate homemade anything anymore?!?!

8. Forget it. I am just going to do a Target haul and hope I find something great for everybody. You cannot go wrong with body wash, right?

9. Hahaha, this mug totally reminds me of my favorite professor! I should buy it for him. Never mind, I feel like that is really weird. I could write him a card instead? Oh my God, no that is even worse.

10. Man, these aviators are so cute! Is it bad if I buy a present for myself?  

11. Dude, I need wrapping paper too…

12. This is way too much pressure and I feel myself becoming poor again. Forget this, everyone is getting cookies in a mason jar for Christmas and a mediocre $5 romantic comedy DVD circa 2006.

13. And a heartfelt card. Yeah, a little sentiment never hurt anybody.  

14. Gosh, but my best friend is so thoughtful. What if I give her these burnt cookies and then she up and names a star after me or something?!

15. I should have bought her a Forever21 gift card. Everyone likes those.

16. Oh, well. I did what I could. And if anyone hates his or her gift, I am just going to flip the script and weep profusely. That way they will be the ones who ruined Christmas, not me.