10 Lyrics from Halloween Songs that Describe College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Let’s be real. There are a bunch of “spooky” things about college: labs, papers, exams, etc.

And it’s no surprise that there are also some Halloween songs to help describe the daily thoughts and feelings of a college student, too. Ten to be exact…

1. “Thriller” – Michael Jackson

“You close your eyes and hope that this is just imagination.”

That painful ring sounds from your alarm; it’s time for class. It’s time to count down the hours until you can come back to your dorm and take a nap.  

2. “Monster Mash” – Bobby Pickett

“I was working in the lab late one night when my eyes beheld an eerie sight.”

You’re working away at your homework, trying to finish up last minute assignments for the next day. Then, you notice you completely forgot about an assignment, and it’s due tomorrow. An all-nighter may be necessary. 

3. “This Is Halloween” – Marilyn Manson

“That’s our job, but we’re not mean.”

This is exactly what we imagine our professors tell themselves in the mirror before they assign that six-page paper on some dense topic no one really cares about or understands. 

4. “Time Warp” – Rocky Horror Picture Show

“He stared at me and I felt a change/ Time meant nothing, never would again.”

You’ve had a crush on the boy that sits in front of you in your English class. Today, he turns around to ask you what the homework was for last night. The butterflies are real. 

5. “Somebody’s Watching Me” – Rockwell  

“When I come home at night/ I bolt the door real tight/ People call me on the phone/ I’m trying to avoid.”

After a long day of class, all you want to do is close the blinds and curl up under the blankets. You can finally watch Netflix and ignore the rest of society. 

6. Highway to Hell by ACDC

“Going down, party time/ My friends are gonna be there too/ I’m on a highway to hell.”

It was a very long night. It seems the best and only choice is to take a skip day. Feel rebellious yet? 

7. “The Monster” – Eminem featuring Rihanna

“Cause all I wanted to do is be the Bruce Lee of looseleaf.”

You had the best intentions in finishing that essay, but time got away from you. Now it’s 2am, and you are doing your best to pretend like you started the essay weeks ago like you should have. 

8. “Ghostbusters” – Ray Parker Jr.

“If you’re all alone pick up the phone/ If there’s something weird and it don’t look good Who you gonna call?”

Walking back from your last class can be pretty scary when the sun goes down. Blue lights can only calm your irrational fears so much. You call a friend to accompany you on the walk home. 

9. “A Nightmare on My Street” – DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince

“So, the gang and I thought that it would be groovy/ If we summoned up the posse and done rushed the movies.” 

It’s Friday! The week is finally over. You finally get to go out on the town with friends and relieve some stress. 

10. “Disturbia” – Rihanna

“All my life on my head, don’t want to think about it, feels like I’m going insane.”

It’s midterms week. Get ready for hardly any sleep, lots of coffee and possibly a panic attack or two. 

Megan Sayles

Maryland '21

Megan is a sophomore at UMD. She is a multi-platform journalism major, and is hoping to pursue social media managing in that field. Meg loves playing piano and boating. Her favorite quote is, "You will find that it is necessary to let things go; simply for the reason that they are heavy," by C. JoyBell C.
Maryam Pitt

Maryland '18

.