books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

The “Shades of Gray” Book You Should Actually Read

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys is a book I stumbled upon in high school when a friend gave me her cherished copy. This novel is everything you’d want for a quick and seasonal read. It is short, fast-paced, and contains plenty of winter imagery—think of snow, and plenty of it. This story is a historical fiction that takes place during the time of the Holocaust. It is told from the perspective of Lina, an intelligent girl that is removed from her home and sent to Siberia. Lina and her family must survive in the harsh northern climate while facing threats far greater than the weather. Even though this doesn’t sound like the cheeriest of books, the story is filled with hope and pulls at the heartstrings of readers in the best of ways.

What is especially interesting about this book is the setting. Lina and her family reside in Lithuania and are oppressed by the Soviets. Most novels of the Holocaust tend to involve people from central or western Europe. Sepetys is known for sharing stories that are rarely remembered. As she is a descendant from a Lithuanian refugee, her fictional accounts stem from many realities. This forgotten Lithuanian history should be spread, as the suffering of all countries is significant. Those that choose to partake in this tale will learn to appreciate ugly truths told through beautiful words.

Aisling Hegarty

Marquette '18

Don't waste a minute not being happy