diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

From the Oldies to the Newbies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

Oldies to Newbies

When you are a freshman, time seems endless. You have only been in the dorms for a month, you are not quite sick of the dorm food yet, and you are still meeting new people and figuring out the campus. But believe it or not, you will be a senior before you know it. You will look back and realize how fast it flew by and maybe even wish you could go back to times you did not appreciate until much too late.

We are only telling you this because we want you to truly experience everything college and, specifically, Marquette have to offer. To help you out, we talked to seniors who gave fantastic advice for you as your first year progresses.

First of all, everyone is in agreement that you chose the best school. Marquette allows for you to branch out and meet new people everyday, while still recognizing classmates and seeing friends as you walk through campus. Kim Hadinata, a Political Science major in the College of Arts & Sciences says, “I love being able to walk around campus and at least know and say hi to one person.” There also is such a sense of community in the tight-knit campus and the Marquette pride is off the charts. Kaitlin Frerich, a Criminology and Political Science major, advises to always purchase Marquette Basketball season tickets. “They are worth every penny.”

We all love college for different reasons. Whether it is the school pride, freedom to do what you want when you want, or ability to meet many new people, it is a great time to experiment and learn more about yourself. Michaela Bear, a Political Science and International Affairs Major, says, “I have loved how much I have grown as a person and how my passions have taken shape. The ideals and values you start college with get to develop and enrich you as a person by the time you are thinking about graduation.” Find yourself and do not be afraid to let yourself grow.

There are many ways to grow and expand your horizons in college and for some of you that can mean volunteering in the community or joining one or a few student organizations. You can bet there is at least one group that shares an interest with you, and if you find them, join them! If there is one regret seniors might have, it is probably not being more involved from the start. Kim says, “The friendships that do last are the ones that you are able to connect with people and those form through clubs and organizations because there is usually a goal or value that the club/organization shares.” It may seem like all you need right now are your floor mates, but do not be afraid to branch out and form strong relationships that will last longer than first semester.

For Kaitlin, her involvement came in the form of Greek life. “My favorite memories come from social events, philanthropy, and sisterhood bonding in my sorority,” she says. If you think you want to rush, go for it! You get to know a lot of people and, like Kaitlin, could create memories that will become your favorites.

While joining student orgs and making genuine friendships has a strong influence on your college experience, it is important to remember that college is your last step before the real world and your first job. It is important to focus on classes and work to get the right internship.  Isabella Wells, a Political Science major, advises to start early. Michaela agrees that you should start early and do as many as you can. “The best way to find out what you want to do in life and what matters to you most is to try everything and anything,” she says. It may seem like you do not have to worry about these just yet, but keep them on your radar! It is never too early to start!

Coming in as a freshman, so many things are new, not just the extracurricular activities or the daunting task of finding an internship. Learning to manage time and money can be hard and at times, disheartening. As underclassmen, you still have meal swipes and should not take this for granted. Kaitlin says, “Take advantage of the meal plan while you can to save money on food.” Isabella agrees and advises to “Save whatever you earn and use it wisely because you are in school for a reason.” It can be tempting to go shopping in the Third Ward every weekend, but it might be best to pass up a certain dress you may only wear once and save that money for a better use later on.

Just as you feel pressure to keep up with the latest fashions, you can also feel pressure to keep up with your peers. You may want to go along with the crew so that you do not feel left out, but you have to remember that you are you and should not feel pressured by so-called friends. “If a ‘friend’ is toxic, do not be their friend. There are thousands of other people on campus you can be friends with that are not negative and full of drama,” Kaitlin says. Isabella offered similar advice. “Do not fall into what everyone else is doing. You are the only person who knows what is best for you and what you are comfortable with,” she says. If everyone is hooking up, do not feel like you have to too! Michaela says, “Having sex does not need to be a competition! Go for it if you want. Ultimately, however, no one really cares who you hooked up with or how much expect you!” College is full of firsts for everyone, but not everyone’s firsts happen at the same time.

Being on your own for the first time and experiencing all these new things can be very hard to deal with, both physically and mentally. Handling mental stress can be very difficult alone. “If you think you need help with mental illnesses, like depression or anxiety, DO NOT be afraid to seek help from the counseling center, confide in a friend, tell your parents. Don’t just think it will go away or that you have too much pride to get help” Kaitlin says. It is very common in young adults to feel like they have to hide their inner struggles but this is not healthy. It is always best to reach out for help.

If you are struggling to manage your money, finding it difficult to find that solid friend group, or missing home, having doubts freshman year are expected and completely different for every individual. Isabella was worried about whether or not she would find her passions. Kim was nervous she would not get along with everyone on campus. Michaela doubted Marquette was the right place for her. Kaitlin simply worried whether or not her dorm décor would match her roommate’s. Whether it be something as big as finding passions or just the small, but very real, worry about matching décor, every doubt is completely normal. All these seniors had different doubts but agreed on one thing: with time, the fears faded and Marquette proved to be everything they imagined and more.

Love your time in college and love your time at Marquette. You only have a few years to live this part of your life and soon you’ll be the seniors advising freshman to appreciate the meal plan, join as many clubs as possible, take electives just for fun, and cherish your years in the dorms. 

Maisie Bentz

Marquette '18

I don't care if I'm a fish, I still want a bicycle.
Aisling Hegarty

Marquette '18

Don't waste a minute not being happy