Campus Celebrity – The Naturals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

Despite each and every member having total campus cutie status, this week’s celebrity is The Naturals. If you are unfamiliar with these gentlemen, I am truly sorry. They are everything an a capella group should be – dedicated, darling, and ceaseless entertaining. HCMU was lucky enough to be invited to watch The Naturals practice recently. These boys are equal part professional and playful during each of their three weekly rehearsals. Although they spend time joking with each other about who hasn’t been practicing and which songs to perform, I could tell they were serious about what they were about to do.

The Naturals are the only male a capella group at Marquette, and we wouldn’t have it any other way. This group began in 2003, when a group of friends came together over a love of singing. They began The Naturals for fun, but the group has grown and evolved into a professional, talented group seeking to grow at Marquette, according to Fischer Reynolds, ’13. When asked to give a statement about The Naturals, the group overwhelming agreed that Fischer be the one to do so. His love for The Naturals was visible as he explained that The Naturals have grown from a few boy who love to sing into an well established entity that has gone so far as to sing the National Anthem at Marquette Basketball games.

Joe Scannel, ’13, explained that the group has grown significantly in size recently. He says its been a process to blend the new voices and adjust to losing those of graduated seniors, but he is very please with the direction in which the group is headed. He mentioned that the group is full of diversity of majors and musical backgrounds, which creates interesting dynamics. Joe explained that “a group of ten soloists does not make an acapella group,” but that the new members are blending well and are very talented.

The Naturals says its one thing to tie a bow tie, but the hardest part about a capella is music arrangement. Kory Freeberg, ’14, explained that those of us who have only seen a capella in the media recently know very little about what it truly takes to create a song fit for voices. The process is known as arranging, and it takes a knowledge of music theory to be successful. When the group picks a song to perform, they must also be aware of how the song can be arranged for voice. Sometimes, a great song just won’t work a capella style. The Naturals usually work with approximately three songs at a time, and take about four weeks to learn them. This can vary depending on the nature and time of their upcoming performance.

The boys stressed that they are available for performances, from a full show to a Valentine’s Day serenade. If you’re interested in hiring them to sing to your best friend for her 21st Birthday or to your Econ Professor in an attempt to pass the class, they can be reached on one of their many social networks. They have a repertoire full of contemporary music, but are also equally adept at traditional songs. When asked if they’ve have a signature song, David Mullins, ’15, told me they end nearly every performance by singing the barber shop piece “Coney Island.” He also stressed that they take requests!

Clearly, there’s something for everyone in this group, so be sure to come see The Naturals when they perform in The Weasler Auditorium on November 3rd!

Here’s the 2012-13 roster!

Chris Hardin ’15 Computer Engineering
     David Meus ’12 Computer Engineering
     David Mullins ’15 Environmental Engineering
     Fisher Reynolds ’13 Political Science
     Joe Scannell ’13 Writing-Intensive English
     Kevin Kriz ’14 International Studies
     Kory Freeberg ’14 Physical Therapy
     Mark Pochowski ’12 Biomedical Engineering
     Steve Lehocky ’13 Psychology
     Walter Humble ’15 Mechanical Engineering 

Hannah McCarthy is a junior studying Broadcasting and Electronic Communication at Marquette University. She is currently the News Director at Marquette Radio. Hannah calls Cincinnati, OH home. In her free time, Hannah obsesses over Public Radio and hopes to be a news reporter after she graduates.