Why Alcohol Makes You Eat Like Crap (&How to Avoid It)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

The American Society for Clinical Nutrition found that increased alcohol consumption was associated with a higher consumption of cheese, oils, and breads, along with a decreased consumption of vegetables.

The reason you NEED that slice of pizza after a long night at the bar isn’t because you danced up an appetite. It’s because the hormone responsible for stimulating hunger is increased with alcohol consumption. To make matters worse, the hunger stimulated is for fatty foods in particular.

This explains why many people tend to crave greasy foods upon waking up with a hangover.

Here are some tips to help you avoid falling into the endless cycle of drinking and eating fat-laden foods:

1. Make sure to eat something high in carbs and protein before hitting the bar, and spread your drinks out throughout the night, rather than consuming all at one time.

2. Drink at least one glass of water for every alcoholic drink you have. This will help minimize your hangover and thus decrease cravings for unhealthy foods. 

3. Drink several glasses of water and eat something high in fiber and protein before going to sleep. This helps replace nutrients lost during drinking, and the protein and fiber will keep your hunger tamed.

Julia is a Public Relations and Advertising major studying at Marist College. She has three loves: writing, eating, and traveling. Her lifetime goal is to pursue a career in which she can fulfill all three of these passions.