A Definitive Ranking of All the Tracks on Ed Sheeran’s ‘Divide’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Ed Sheeran released his third studio album, “Divide” on Friday, March 3 and effectively managed to send me through a rollercoaster of emotions.  The album is extremely diverse, containing emotional ballads, powerful and raw truths, dance tunes, and even Gaelic rap.   

There is something so unique and honest about Ed Sheeran, and “Divide” does not disappoint.  I love this album, and it’s safe to say that it is all I will be listening to for the next couple of weeks.

Here’s how I would rank the songs on “Divide” from perfect to absolutely flawless:

16) Nancy Mulligan

“She was Nancy Mulligan And I was William Sheeran, she took my name and then we were one.”

15) Barcelona

“Just close your eyes, and let’s pretend we’re dancing in the street in Barcelona.”

14) Galway Girl

“She played the fiddle in an Irish band but she fell in love with an English man, kissed her on the neck and then I took her by the hand.”

13) Bibia Be Ye Ye

“Someone told me, always say what’s on your mind.  And I am only being honest with you, I get lonely and I make mistakes from time to time.”

12) What Do I Know?

“While I’ll be sitting here with a song that I wrote, sing, love could change the world in a moment, but what do I know?”

11) Castle on the Hill

“And I miss the way you make me feel, and it’s real, we watched the sunset over the castle on the hill.”

10) How would you feel (Paean)

“How would you feel, if I told you I loved you?  It’s just something that I want to do.  I’ll be taking my time, spending my life, falling deeper in love with you.”

9) Hearts Don’t Break Around Here

“I feel safe when you’re holding me near, love the way that you conquer your fear, you know hearts don’t break around here.”

8) Dive

“So don’t call me baby, unless you mean it.  Don’t tell me you need me, if you don’t believe it.  So let me know the truth before I dive right into you.”

7) Eraser

“Save your loving arms for a rainy day, and I’ll find comfort in my pain eraser.”

6) Perfect

“When I saw you in that dress looking so beautiful, I don’t deserve this, darling, you look perfect tonight.”

5) New Man

“I don’t wanna know about your new man, cause if it was meant to be, you wouldn’t be calling me up trying to, cause I’m positive that he don’t wanna know about me.”

4) Supermarket Flowers

“So I’ll sing Hallelujah, you were an angel in the shape of my mum, when I fell down you’d be holding me up, spread your wings as you go.”

3) Shape of You

“I’m in love with the shape of you, we push and pull like a magnet do.  Although my heart is falling too, I’m in love with your body.”

2) Save Myself

“So before I save someone else, I’ve got to save myself.  And before I blame someone else, I’ve got to save myself.  And before I love someone else, I’ve got to love myself.”

1) Happier

“Cause baby you look happier, you do.  My friends told me one day I’ll feel it too.  And until then I’ll smile to hide the truth, but I know I was happier with you.”

Ed, we love you! 

Elizabeth is a senior at Marist College studying Public Relations and Advertising.  Currently serving as the Editor in Chief and CC of the Marist Chapter, she enjoys writing about entertainment, music, lifestyle, and news.