This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

The Women’s March on Washington was not only one of the largest gatherings in the 21st century, but was an overwhelming, tangible view of the amount of love there is still left in our country. Despite the majority of the nation (and even other nations) being extremely disgusted and disappointed with the outcomes of the recent presidential elections, this march around the nation’s capital showed that there are still ways to change our future as a country.

With over 500,000 people in Washington D.C. on Saturday, January 21st 2017, it was breathtaking to see all walks of life coming together to promote women’s rights. There were babies in strollers and old couples in wheelchairs. There were women wearing worn down clothing and women wearing pearls and fur coats. Despite the many differences between all of these people, everyone was there to promote gender equality and women’s rights, and that was truly a breathtaking notion.

It is extremely important to seize opportunities like this and raise your voice against injustice and inequality. In addition to mainstream feminism ideas, thousands gathered to promote a wide variety of other human rights. As it goes, “Women’s rights are human rights,” which in itself finds no lies. It is truly salient to establish and reiterate sayings such as this in order to reach a society where everyone realizes that women’s rights are human rights. Martin Luther King, when faced with extreme opposition and brutality for promoting equal rights, “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.” This still holds true in today’s society, nearly 50 years later.

All across the world- New York City, London, Los Angeles, Paris, Boston- crowds gathered to promote this idea of justice. We need to stand up NOW (pun intended) so that our children and all future generations will not have to live in a world where women are still grossly mistreated, underestimate, and pushed to the side. United Nations Ambassador and strong promoter of feminism (and of course the wonderful actress being the beloved Hermione Granger) Emma Watson, in her initial introduction speech for her campaign “He For She”, she asked the all-encompassing and ever-pertinent question, “If not me, who? If not now, when?” And this could not be more relevant regarding this series of marches for women’s rights.

We used our right to vote to vote for a president who would protect programs such as Planned Parenthood, and that sadly came to no avail. But who’s to say that we have to return to the past? We can still win this centuries-long battle with persistent effort and love. Now is the time to use our right to free speech and our girl power to fight for our rights to equality. For our grandmothers, mothers, daughters, sisters, and ourselves, regardless of your gender, please start your political activism here and now! Marches like these are incredibly important in not only raising our voices and showing that power comes in numbers, but in building a community of love and peace.