The Stages of Procrastinating on a Paper

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Okay. Let’s start this paper… Wait!

Social Media 

I haven’t checked Instagram for 30 minutes, so let me check before I start typing. Oh! I’ll check Twitter, too. Alright, I’ll check Tumblr so I can get all of this out of my system. I can’t be distracted with this stuff while I’m typing. It’s better to look now then to constantly think about it while I’m typing. 

Alright, intro paragraph. Let’s get this started… Oh! Another thing!

Music

It’s way too quiet and I need some background noise. What should I put on? Do I have any good playlists on iTunes? Hmm… I could make a good playlist quickly. Or should I go on Spotify? And what kind of music should I even listen to? I feel like it should be calm and quiet so I don’t get too distracted. Oh! I should go on 8tracks instead and find a playlist for studying. There’s usually a good collection of those. Which one to pick? Here’s a good one! Okay, now I’m starting.

Typing… Stomach growling…

Food

Maybe I should make myself a snack and get something to drink. I’ll multi-task by not only typing but eating a snack too! What do I have in my mini-fridge? I haven’t tried these microwave noodles. They only take 5 minutes, I can take a break. Why not?

Finally made it to the second page! I think this is the perfect time for…

Unnecessary Breaks

I mean, I deserve a break at this point. I just typed a full page with minimal breaks! I can go to the bathroom, play on my phone, really anything because I put a good amount of effort into that one page. I’ll just take a few minutes and get back to it.

Okay, that break was longer than I wanted to make it. But that’s okay, I’ll just work on these next few pages longer. I mean, this is due in the morning but I still have plenty of time and I’m not even tired! Wait… WHAT?! How is it midnight already?! Oh my goodness, how did this happen?!

Mental Breakdown

This paper is due in the morning and now I’m suddenly feeling tired and oh my goodness I’m going to flunk out of college because of this stupid paper! I’m a failure! Okay, I can’t freak out, I just need to finish this. I can’t talk to anyone and I can’t stop typing until I’m finished.

Alright, almost finished. Maybe two paragraphs to go and then I can print this in the morning. It’s only 1am now, I’ll still have maybe six hours of sleep. Of course, I have an 8am tomorrow, just my luck.

Friends Distracting You

Oh no, everyone is watching a movie next door. I want to join them, but I have to get this done! Okay, maybe I could finish my paper in their room so I’m not being completely antisocial. I only have a few more things to add to this, so I could multi-task again. 

I love this movie! I’ll make sure to write this as I’m listening to the movie in the background. It won’t be too hard.

Okay, it’s 2am and I’m FINALLY finished! Time to go to bed. I’ve learned my lesson- never procrastinate ever again. I will never do that ever again. 

(But let’s be realistic, I’ll probably do this on every paper.)

Class of 2019. Communication Major. Film Studies/Digital Media Art Minor. Maryland girl exploring NYC and writing all about it! Follow me on Instagram: @taylorbrethauer and Twitter: @itstaybytheway Stalk my photography blog here: throughtaylorsviewfinder.tumblr.com