14 Democratic Party Senators Have Left its Party in the Dark

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Donald Trump has picked his nominees to fill his cabinet and as of today, five of which have been voted on. Of all the U.S. Senators, the following 14 democrats have voted yes for all of the five nominees. One of which was a very familiar face- Senator Tim Kaine, Hillary Clinton’s running mate:

• Joe Donnelly Ind.
  • Dianne Feinstein Calif.
  • Heidi Heitkamp N.D.
  • Maggie Hassan N.H.
  • Amy Klobuchar Minn.
  • Angus King Me.
  • Tim Kaine Va.
  • Claire McCaskill Mo.
  • Joe Manchin III W.Va.
  • Jack Reed R.I.
  • Jeanne Shaheen N.H.
  • Brian Schatz Hawaii
  • Sheldon Whitehouse R.I.
  • Mark Warner Va.

Many of us are rightfully outraged by Donald Trump and the orders he is looking to follow through on in the immediate future. While we imagine an alternate universe where Hillary won that wouldn’t be as bad, seeing Democrats support Republican picks is telling and unfortunately not surprising. American’s see a polarized spectrum of Republicans and Democrats residing as far as possible from one another. Unfortunately, many of our representatives are more like one another than like you and me.The interests of many politicians concern the ruling class with most of our nation’s wealth. Quite frankly, those who identity with the Democrats should feel betrayed by their senators who have completely turned their backs on their people. 

America is now more politically volatile than ever, and I hope to see that this new change will bring the dissipation of parties that have failed us endlessly for the past centuries and bring rise to a political revolution based on the interests of the working class. The protests that have errupted all over the word is a signal that people will not back down from injustice. In all of this, we must hold all of our politicians accountable and not lose sight that Trump is not alone in his agenda- he is getting backed by people that were trusted to do otherwise.