This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

On January 21st, we came together by millions to raise our voices, globally. The Woman’s March is more than just a single day of action; this is the beginning of a movement to protect fundamental human rights. In honor of women’s rights and this entire movement, below I have compiled 13 quotes from strong fierce woman that will empower you.

“A feminist is anyone who recognizes the equality and full humanity of women and men.” ―Gloria Steinem

“I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life’s a bitch. You’ve got to go out and kick ass.” —Maya Angelou

“I raise up my voice—not so I can shout, but so that those without a voice can be heard…we cannot succeed when half of us are held back.” ―Malala Yousafzai

“We need to reshape our own perception of how we view ourselves. We have to step up as women and take the lead.”—Beyoncé

“The idea of being a feminist: so many women have come to this idea of it being anti-male and not able to connect with the opposite sex, but what feminism is about is equality and human rights. For me that is just an essential part of my identity.”—Lena Dunham

“I’m tough, I’m ambitious, and I know exactly what I want. If that makes me a bitch, okay.”

“[Remember] we are not afraid, that we are not alone, that we will not back down, that there is power in our unity and no opposing force stands a chance in the faith of true solidarity.”

– Madonna

“Figure out who you are separate from your family, and the man or woman you’re in a relationship with. Find who you are in this world and what you need to feel good alone. I think that’s the most important thing in life. Find a sense of self because with that, you can do anything else.” – Angelina Jolie

“I am the American Dream. I am the epitome of what the American Dream basically said. It said, you could come from anywhere and be anything you want in this country. That’s exactly what I’ve done. I am where I am because I believe in all possibilities.” – Whoopi Goldberg

“The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand

“I am an example of what is possible when girls from the very beginning of their lives are loved and nurtured by people around them. I was surrounded by extraordinary women in my life who taught me about quiet strength and dignity.”

“No country can ever truly flourish if it stifles the potential of its women and deprives itself of the contributions of half its citizens.” 

– Michelle Obama

“Continue to embrace the things that make you unique even if it makes others uncomfortable. You are enough. And whenever you’re feeling doubt, whenever you want to give up, you must always remember to choose freedom over fear.” – Janelle Monae