Sugaring. Is It Really as Sweet as It Sounds?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Sugaring is one of the biggest trends in hair removal at the moment, but did you know that it is the oldest form of hair removal in the world? A simple mix of sugar, water, and lemon is heated to form a lukewarm paste used to extract hair from a desired area.

Founded in 2010 Sugared and Bronzed quickly became a hot spot for sugaring and natural airbrush tanning. With 9 locations nationwide it is easy to always be ready for your close up.   

I must admit, I am a strong believer in sugaring over waxing and once I decided to make the move to Los Angeles I knew I had to find a reputable place to take care of all of my sugaring needs. Upon further research I realized that Sugared and Bronzed really does live up to their claim of being one of the nation’s most popular sugaring destinations. Walking into the Beverly Hills location I was greeted by friendly faces who walked me through the check in process and made sure I was comfortable before my appointment.

Marissa was my wonderful esthetician that performed my hair removal. Every sugaring esthetician I have ever had has been incredibly nice and conversational. Throughout my appointment we discussed everything from the benefits of sugaring to the differences of living in the Midwest versus California. Marissa did a great job making sure I was comfortable during my appointment making it clear if I needed a break I could take one. NEWSFLASH sugaring is way less painful than to waxing, so it’s pretty easy to get through an appointment without any breaks. Once my sugaring was complete, around a twenty minute process, I was ready to go; there is no chemical solution needed to remove any excess paste or sticky residue, unlike waxing, because it’s water soluble and doesn’t grab onto the skin.   

TOP 5 REASONS SUGARING IS BETTER THAN WAXING:

• Sugaring prevents and corrects ingrown hairs, whereas waxing causes ingrown hairs because waxing tends to break the hair instead of pulling out the entire follicle.

• Sugaring exfoliates the skin (removing dead skin cells) instead of adhering to live skin cells like waxing (ouch!)

• Sugaring reduces hair growth overtime and in between sessions hairs will grow back finer.

• All skin types, including highly sensitive, can benefit from sugaring.

• Sugaring paste is hypoallergenic and will not clog pores!

You may be thinking that this all sounds too good to be true, I know I used to think that way too. Now as an avid sugar-er who has seen all the benefits this ancient Egyptian form of hair removal claims. I can officially say, sugaring really is as sweet as it sounds.  

Check out https://sugaredandbronzed.com to find a location near you! Tell them that I sent you!

Carlie is originally from Minnesota but has always been a California girl at heart. She is studying Communication Studies and Public Relations at Loyola Marymount University. In addition to Her Campus, she is also apart of a service organization, and her job is to bring celebrity guests to LMU for concerts, Q&As, and stand-up shows. Carlie has a variety of passions from singing, cooking, makeup, and YouTube so you can expect a fun array of articles from her!