Campus Profile: Lexie the Puppy Raiser

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Lexie, a sophomore Psychology major, has been raising guide dogs through Guide Dogs of America for 4 ½ years. Since Lexie and I went to highschool together, I’ve had the pleasure of meeting all of the dogs she’s raised over the last few years. She’s such a fun person to be around, so finding out that I would have a friend from home on campus was super comforting. Plus, I knew I’d always be able to see her adorable puppies!

1.What’s your favorite part about LMU?

The support I have from fellow students as well as faculty is far more than I ever expected it to be. Everyone is supportive of each other in all aspects, not just academics.

2.How long have you been a puppy raiser?

I picked up my first GDA pup, Chloe, in March of 2013!

3.How many puppies have you raised?

My current puppy, Jenny, is my fifth puppy.

4.What’s the best part about it?

There is absolutely nothing like seeing the difference a pup I’ve raised has made in someone’s life. Only a small percentage of dogs bred for the program actually complete their training and are matched with blind/visually impaired individuals. I’ve had two puppies successfully complete training and two released for medical issues. The moment I saw my first puppy, Chloe, with her partner I realized that the emotional roller coaster I’d been on as a puppy raiser had been worth it. She has given her partner a new sense of freedom that a white cane couldn’t provide her. Knowing I played a small role in that means the world to me.

5.What’s the most challenging part about it?

Saying goodbye! We love these puppies for 18 months and then give them up. This is, without a doubt, the hardest (volunteer) job I will ever love. Each time I pick up a new little girl I know that one day I will have to say goodbye, but I continue doing it over and over because as hard as it is to say goodbye, I know that by saying goodbye I am giving someone else a chance to live a life of independence.

6.You commute to LMU, do you think that makes it easier to raise a future guide dog?

Yes and no. Commuting to LMU has allowed me to stay involved with GDA outside of puppy raising. I volunteer on GDA’s campus & frequently speak to schools and youth groups about GDA. With that being said, it’s a long day for a puppy. My current puppy, Jenny, is only 4 months old. Two days a week we spend 2 hours in the car driving to school followed by 6.5 hours of back to back classes, and then spend about an hour and a half driving home. That’s a lot to ask of any dog, especially a puppy as young as Jenny, but she handles it like a pro. It’s good for her to get this experience because as a guide dog she could end up with someone who commutes to work on a bus or train and then sits in an office all day.

There are also things I think would be easier if I lived on campus, like educating other students on service dogs. On more than one occasion I have had other students approach us and start petting my dog or taking pictures of her without even acknowledging me. First of all, you should never distract a working dog by petting them, calling to them, trying to get their attention for photos, etc. Second of all, my puppy cannot talk to you, but I can! When people approach us and start petting Jenny without asking me first, I usually ask them to stop petting her as she is working. If you ask me if you can pet my dog, I will usually say yes. She needs to experience attention from other people, but she needs to learn that she only gets attention from others at certain times and when she is behaving. I think living on campus and having a larger presence on campus would make it easier to educate others about service dog etiquette.

7.What’s one of your favorite stories to tell people about one of your puppies at LMU?

During the Fall semester of my freshman year I was raising my third GDA pup, Winnie. I was sitting in class one day about a month into the semester when one of my professors looked over and said “Oh look, a dog!” Winnie had been so quiet and well behaved that he hadn’t even noticed I had a puppy in the class!

8.Do you see yourself being involved in Guide Dogs for America for a long time?

Yes! I couldn’t imagine not having a puppy at my side.

9.Was it easy to get the approval to bring your puppies onto campus?

LMU has been very supportive! I actually decided on LMU because they were so accepting of puppies in training on campus. My personal statement was focused on puppy raising, and I brought a puppy with me on my tour and to all events at LMU before school started, so by the first day of classes both my pup and I were comfortable around the campus and people had already seen my pup around, so nobody questioned it. The first day of a new class is hard because everyone is so excited about having a four legged classmate, but the excitement wears off by day two and class goes on as if no dog is present.

10.What advice would you give to someone who wants to be a puppy raiser?

Do it! The number one question puppy raisers are asked is, “how do you give them up?” And the simple answer is, “Knowing the purpose, how could I not?” There truly are no words to describe how puppy raising will change your life. All I can say is if you’ve ever thought about it, even for a moment, do it and you will never regret it!

Lizzie Bromley is a sophomore studying Journalism at Loyola Marymount University. She is in a sorority, CPC VP of Communications and Marketing, involved in Campus Ministry, and the VP of Social Media for Greek Light. She has passions for writing/blogging, spending time with her friends, and binge-watching The Office.
Her Campus LMU