nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Signs You’re a Newcomer to the Music Festival Lifestyle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

This past weekend I attended my first music festival, Day N Night, at Angel Stadium in Orange County, California. I had the pleasure of seeing performances by Khalid, Kodak Black, Travis Scott, SZA, Post Malone, Lil Uzi Vert, Chance the Rapper, Russ, 21 Savage, YG, and Kendrick Lamar. With a lineup that is almost unbeatable, it is needless to say that I am still in awe from experiencing the caliber of each of these incredible artists live with over 20,000 people. After surviving the insane weekend, I can finally proclaim that I am no longer a newcomer to the music festival scene that dominates the pop culture of our generation. Here are the 10 signs that indicated my novice experience that I had to suffer through in order to gain my new title and finally be inducted into the music festival lifestyle:

1.You buy the 3 Day General Admission Pass because you think you are invincible and will not succumb to the exhaustion that is standing for 7 hours straight to see your favorite performers.

2. You wear your favorite gladiator sandals because you think your feet can survive the elephant stampede that is the mosh pit. Newsflash, absolutely NOTHING can survive the mosh pit. I repeat, NOTHING.

3.You only allow yourself to drink one 16.9 FL Oz  bottle of water over the span of a day because you don’t want to lose your prime spot in the mosh pit.

4. You strategically plan beautiful Coachella-esque outfits but then realize you are in a Rap venue where any clothing less is more and anything less than less is even more.

5. You think people will react in an affirmative way if you politely ask them to move when you are making your way through the crowd but really, they react just like Teresa Guidice would if you got her mad at the dinner table

6. You witness your life flash before your eyes when you experience the full body convulsions and head banging concussions of the mosh pit for the very first (and last) time. Well if my physical body was preparing for my soul to be reset, at least it would be happening to Post Malone’s “I Fall Apart”.

7. You did not mentally prepare yourself for the surprise live entertainment that would be accompanying the artists onstage- in this case YG’s naked strippers from his very hometown of Compton, California.  

8. You finally understand what it feels like to sweat all 5.5 liters of body fluids in one capacity. And just when you think you’re grossed out, picture all of your fluids are mixing with the unique concoction of fluid dripping from 20,000 other people’s pores.

9. You develop a deep hatred for the girls who sit on their boyfriend’s shoulders and end up blocking your view for the entire festival. WE GET IT, you have a boyfriend. There’s no need to be greedy when I’m trying to see my boyfriend Russ serenade me with “Losin Control”. `

10. You full on fan girl over your favorite performers as if they are putting on their very own concert you because you insist that you are their biggest fan even though you have never seen them in concert before.

Natalie Farrell is a Senior at Loyola Marymount  University pursuing a double degree in Dance and Communications Studies. Along with being the President of HCLMU, Natalie was a Talent Management Intern for an entertainment agency and stylist for Free People. She is interested in the fine and performing arts indstury, journalism, and health and wellness space. Explore her porfolio below.