Coming (Very) Soon: The Ultimate Summer 2018 Movie Roundup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

If you aren’t already excited for the blockbusters scheduled to be released this 2018 Summer season, you’re definitely about to be. This theater season’s lineup is certainly a mixed bag, but nonetheless filled with pictures sure to sell out theaters everywhere. You definitely won’t wanna miss them before school’s back in session.

Not sure where to start? No problem! Here’s a masterlist of all the highly-anticipated films with release dates this May, June, July, and even August, categorized by genre, made to be navigated by anyone — from the hardcore cinephile to the occasional moviegoer.

SUPERHERO MOVIES

For all the gals out there with a geeky side, these highly anticipated blockbusters will bring your favorite comic book heroes to life on the silver screen!

Deadpool 2 (May 18)

Marvel’s most foul-mouthed mercenary is back with a vengeance. Ryan Reynolds returns to the role of Wade Wilson, better known as Deadpool, for this superhero sequel that everyone’s been waiting for. And he’s worse than ever.

Solo: A Star Wars Story (May 25)

Lucasfilms is going back in time to bring you this special side-story and prequel to the original Star Wars trilogy starring everyone’s favorite rebel: Han Solo. Alden Ehrenreich plays the title role, portraying the beloved science-fiction icon while giving us a little more insight to what Han Solo’s life was like before A New Hope.

Ant-man and the Wasp (July 6)

Real comic book nerds have all been asking the same question since the release of the original Ant-Man movie in 2016: Where’s the Wasp? Answer: Right here! Paul Rudd is back as Marvel’s Ant-Man, this time joined by his well-known partner in heroism: The Wasp (Michelle Pfeiffer).

ROM-COMS

For the people who just like to laugh and for the people who love love.

Hot Summer Nights (July 27)

Remember Timothee Chalamet from Call Me By Your Name? How about Ladybird? Interstellar? Well, whichever role you remember him from, he’s taking on a new one this summer in Hot Summer Nights. In yet another coming-of-age story, Chalamet plays a shy weed dealer and the film follows the events that unfold during his summer in Cape Cod.

Juliet, Naked (August 17)

Based on a novel, this movie tells the story of Juliet and her strange, yet exciting romance with a has-been rockstar. The twist? This rockstar is her current boyfriend’s idol.

Crazy Rich Asians (August 17)

This completely Asian-cast film, starring Constance Wu and Henry Golding, tells the story of an economics professor finding out that her seemingly normal boyfriend is actually the wealthiest, most-desired bachelor in the continent of Asia. Speaks for itself.

INDIE FILMS

For the hardcore cinephile, these independent films were all recently featured in this year’s Sundance Film Festival.

Sorry to Bother You (July 13)

In this Sundance film, an African American telemarketer played by Lakeith Stanfield discovers the secret to making sales: imitating the voice of a white man.

Eighth Grade (July 20)  

Remember Bo Burnham? The youngest comedian ever to have made a career for himself writing funny songs on Youtube? He wrote and directed a coming-of-age film about the struggles of middle school that became a Sundance favorite. Check out Elsie Fisher’s acting debut when it hits theaters.

Blindspotting (July 27)

Hamilton star Daveed Diggs teamed up with Rafael Casal to write a script that would later become a successful Sundance feature. Check out the story of two ex-con Oakland movers and what happens when their parole is up.

SEQUELS

For fans of the original films, these revivals of all-time classics will surely make you nostalgic.

Ocean’s 8 (June 8)

Thought Ocean’s 11 team of guys was good? You’re gonna love this team of badass women even more. Starring Sandra Bullock, Cate Blanchett, Anne Hathaway, and featuring pop star Rihanna, this remake of Ocean’s 11 looks promising in its imagery of strong, capable women on a mission. Kim Kardashian even makes an appearance! You won’t wanna miss it.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (June 22)

In yet another sequel to the remake of the original action film, Chris Pratt returns to his role as Owen Grady. A volcano threatens to wipe out the dinosaur life on Isla Nubar. But we had you at Chris Pratt, didn’t we?

The First Purge (July 4)

NOSTALGIC

For the kids-at-heart, these films recreate the stories you grew up watching/reading.

Incredibles 2 (June 15)

After 14 years, it’s finally here: the sequel to everyone’s favorite family of superheroes, the Incredibles. Reversing typical gender roles in the home, Elastigirl is now the working superhero of the family, leaving Mr. Incredible at home to take care of the kids. Mr. Incredible quickly realizes that his super strength can’t help him with the hardest task in the world: raising his three kids.  

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again (July 10)

For all the people who fell head over heels for the original Mamma Mia!, comes the sequel musical Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again. While navigating the waters of being pregnant with her own child, Sophie discovers more and more about her mother’s past. To revive your love for the classic movie musical, catch this movie when it hits theaters.

Christopher Robin (August 3)

A timeless bedtime tale come to life on the silver screen starring Ewan McGregor as the title role: Christopher Robin. Based on the original tales of Winnie the Pooh and friends, the film follows the story of Christopher Robin but not quite as we remember him. He’s all grown up now, not necessarily for the better, and his animal friends intervene to get him back on track.

With summer right around the corner, take it upon yourself to kick back with some friends and watch a movie. Maybe even try a movie from a genre you don’t normally watch to broaden your horizons. You just might find a new obsession!