10 Reasons to Watch Suits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

1. Meghan Markle – you don’t need to be a media pundit in order to know that Meghan Markle is Prince Harry’s new girlfriend, but I only mention that to get that fact out of the way so that we can actually discuss the brilliance and poise that embody the actress as a person who has sparked conversation and advocated for women as the Women’s Ambassador for the UN. Her character Rachel (actually Meghan’s first name in real life) is very similar in that sense that she is trying to establish herself as a capable lawyer in her own right in a male dominated field as the daughter of another corporate big shot.

2. Mike and Harvey Banter- The Property Brothers from their namesake, The Salvatore Brothers from The Vampire Diaries and dare I say it, even the Winchester Brothers from Supernatural barely have a fighting chance when it comes to the relationship Harvey Specter and Mike Ross. I’ve seen all of the aforementioned shows, but watching the interactions between these two lawyers really puts the idea of family outside of family into perspective and far outranks any actual love story in the show. Beyond their quips and quote offs they’ve got such a deep connection and loyalty to each other, it makes each scene even more meaningful.

3. Law is irrelevant- As I recall, when I first started watching this show, I had absolutely no idea what they were talking about during he entire episode (8th grade government did nothing for me here), yet I was hooked and even found myself wanting to become a lawyer despite the intense amount of 20 hour work days displayed on screen. The show has heart in a way that it’s not just thrown in your face, it’s something you discover as you begin to understand the characters and their drives and intense sense of protection of their family-their firm- each other. They even have their own song mashups!

4. It’s not just a law drama- The amount of comedy in this show will have you questioning whether you are watching the same show. Though romance is a minor part of the show, the main relationships, the quips  and even the mini characters they impersonate in certain scenes. They love to mess with each other on-screen but it’s almost in a non-manipulative manner that is still relatable to us average folk who don’t live in the glitz and glam of corporate law.

5. Cast chemistry- Though Sarah Rafferty (Donna) and Gabriel Macht (Harvey) knew each other long before the premiere of the show, the chemistry between them on-screen is undeniable as Suits has managed to draw out a non-romantic relationship for seven years without detracting viewers and has developed a real family within the office. Even the chemistry between each of them and the office runt, Louis, makes for fireworks on-screen with a combination of ignorance and teasing. And fun fact: Patrick J Adams’ (Mike) real life fiance at the time, Troian Bellisario, played one of his love interests in an episode and their translation of their real life love.

6. Movie Quotes – Suits has a habit of “quote-a-longs” or “quote offs” where the characters will incorporate quotes from famous movies like Casablanca or Remember the Titans into their every day language. Even if the viewer hasn’t seen any of the movies mentioned, he or she is still able to catch onto it and appreciate the comedic timing and creative brilliance. I, myself, will find it both hilarious and challenging to discover what movie they quoted in such a random context, sitting by myself for several minutes afterwards just digesting how it all came together.

7. The Ambiguity- At the beginning of the show they introduce the idea of a can opener celebration that seems to have a sexual implication, but the viewer is left in the dark the entire time left to the freedom of his or her own imagination. But let’s be honest here- the producers’ ideas for the can opener are probably a lot more innovative than our own. They also have a character constantly mentioned throughout different episodes though they never put a face to the name. She is almost like Wallowitz’s mother from the Big Bang Theory where she plays a central role in certain parts but is never seen. It causes the viewers to just constantly be left on the edge of their seats.

8. Lawyers can be fun too- Though the characters are big shots in the corporate world, they find humor within the small things in life, fangirl over their favorite sport stars and celebrities and even catch on to modern trends like “bieber fever.”

9. Webisodes- The show has a web series entitled Suit Briefs with random, irrelevant scenes involving the main characters as they incorporate what happens behind the scenes of the legal drama in the characters’ daily lives.

10. It’s Litt- Suits was way ahead of the game before the term “it’s lit” ever became a modern colloquialism that blown up in the last couple years but existed long past its prime. Louis Litt is a character of his own deserving of his own show, but the way he has transformed the exclamation into his own personalized statement will forever cement getting “litt” as a part of the corporate mindset.

Curator of film and media outside the scope of social media, hopeless romantic exploring the caveats of love with a passion for fashion (as adjusted to my version of it). If you really want to know me, just buy me a macarone (or two).   
A Cleveland, Ohio native, Kaitlin is a senior English Major at Loyola Marymount University.