New Job, New City: The Perks of Finding a Career Mentor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LIM chapter.

You find yourself in the city you’ve always dreamed of. You’re going to graduate school, and you’re working for a company you believe in.

Back up, wait – how do you get there?

My name is Jonna Hyatt, and I am a Masters of Professional Studies in Fashion Marketing student working as a Social Media and Digital Marketing Assistant working for contemporary athleisure brand Boy Meets Girl.

A key factor: I started my journey early. I have been working and completing internships in multiple fields since before I started college. I went down the educational and social services path for a short period of time before realizing that was not for me. With that being said, in 2014, I crossed paths with Boy Meets Girl via Twitter. Ever since my summer internship with the company in 2014, I’ve felt a strong connection to their brand as well as the Founder and Creative Director, Stacy Igel.

Stacy is someone that I knew I wanted in my court. I consider her to be a rare breed, in a good way. She’s focused and driven, yet understanding and kind. She genuinely cares about her business and people. She’s a dedicated business owner and mother (“mompreneur”). With that being said, having her as a mentor has played a key role to get to where I am today.

Being a small-town girl from Sparta, Missouri, I pictured my first New York internship experience to be something out of The Devil Wears Prada. I attended a rigorous college that put an emphasis on hard work and having a good attitude; therefore, I was ready to deal with anything that came my way, from crazy tasks to tackling the impossible.

I was completely shocked when I met this person with such a bright and bubbly personality, who was just happy to have me there. Since my first day, I knew I would have a sense of loyalty to this woman and the movement she has created for the last fifteen years.

With all of those miscellaneous facts in place, I believe that it is important to find that person you click within a field that you love. Whether it is fashion, beauty, education, or general business, having someone you look up to can help you advance your career and skill-set in your desired industry of choice.

I’ve come with a few methods as to how you can find this person, as well as establish a professional relationship that will continue to help you succeed.

Methods

Take advantage of being a student. 

From my undergraduate experience to my graduate experience, there have always been a variety of resources. The majority of collegiate institutions have departments dedicated to career development. Use these resources!

With that being said, also establish positive relationships with your professors. It is easy to get in the habit of just going through the motions in class, but try to remain engaged. These are career mentors that you have access to on a daily basis, and you can manage to build your reference list!

Attend career fairs and events – even if you don’t feel like you have to.

Even if you are not looking for a job or internship, you never know too many people. While going through the college experience, take advantage of these events. You might meet someone who you can learn from, and maybe find yourself a new career mentor!

We live in a digital age – use it.

Brands and companies are all over social media. Make sure to pay attention to a brand that you might be interested in working for, and reach out. Most companies provide their contact information on their websites. Who knows, you might be able to meet with someone sooner than you’d expevt. You might be surprised in the response.

Location doesn’t necessarily matter.

Don’t be afraid to connect with people who are outside of your city or state (safely, of course). Whether it is through a social platform or other avenues, this can be beneficial to you –  especially if you are looking to work somewhere else or experience a different setting. Establish a LinkedIn account. Make connections elsewhere early, and you might find someone who can give you advice if you chose to make a big move!

Recognize who you know outside of your current location.

Network, network, NETWORK. I am from Missouri, but I knew a few people in New York so before I moved, I had a little insight on what areas to visit, places to live, restaurants to try, the scoop on work environments, etc. I met these people through family, friends, and even acquaintances! Plus, if you know people that are working in your specific field, they can guide you through the process.

"Jonna M. Hyatt is a Masters in Professional Studies in Fashion Marketing Student, as well as a Social Media and Digital Marketing Assistant for the women's contemporary athleisure brand, Boy Meets Girl. Check out the brand Jonna is working for at https://www.boymeetsgirlusa.com." For the not so formal introduction - I'm a tall blonde who just so happens to have an unhealthy obsession with french fries and Blake Lively. I cheered in college, but I'm working on transitioning into a new work-out routine. If you have a method that includes eating Sprinkles Cupcakes, I'm listening. P.S. - If you're looking for someone to complain about Missourian things that New York is missing - I'm your girl.  XO, Jonna