Sorority Spotlight ’16-’17: Alpha Gamma Delta

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lehigh chapter.

1. What makes your chapter special?

Our chapter is special because there are so many different types of girls in our house.  Academically, we range anywhere from engineers to business majors to writers.  Also, our members are involved in a multitude of other clubs and organizations on campus, so you almost always can find an Alpha Gam sister wherever you go. Every individual is unique and brings something different to the chapter, but everyone has the same Alpha Gam connection that brings us together.

2. What is your favorite memory as a house?

Our favorite memory as a house is our Annual Parents’ Weekend Tailgate that we have before the football game on Parents’ Weekend.  Each year Alpha Gam members and their parents come up to Goodman campus, where we have a big potluck-style tailgate with music and delicious food.  It is an awesome opportunity to meet and hang out with the parents of all of our sisters and share with them more about our sorority.

3. What is your house’s favorite meal that your chef makes?

Our house’s favorite meals are our chef Lisa’s tomato mozz foccacia sandwiches and grilled cheese and tomato soup. We also love the Italian Sunday dinners that she makes when we have chapter meetings at the sorority house.

4. What is your chapter’s philanthropy? What are your biggest events on campus?

Our philanthropic focus is Diabetes Awareness and Education.  As a chapter, we raise money and awareness for the Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation, which supports many diabetes charities, including the American Diabetes Association.  We engage in numerous volunteer service activities related to diabetes awareness and education on our campus, including our annual Downward Dogs for Diabetes yoga event held on campus to collect proceeds that support our foundation.

5. What is your house’s GPA?

Our overall house GPA is a 3.397.

6. What is your house’s favorite tradition?

One of our house’s favorite tradition is our annual Scholarship Dinner held at Hotel Bethlehem.  Each year, the house joins with a fraternity and together we dress up and invite our favorite professors to a wonderful dinner where we thank them for everything they have given and taught us throughout our years.  In addition, we honor the members of our house that have worked hard to achieve high academic standing.

7. How do members deal with the financial commitment of being apart of Greek Life?

As a house, we offer scholarships that are available for those interested.  In addition, our VP of Finance organizes payment plans for our chapter dues for any members of the house that reach out.

8. What is the most important thing you would want a PNM to know before going through recruitment?

When going through Formal Recruitment, the most important thing a PNM should know is to have an open mind. Despite the cliche, everyone does end up where they are meant to be, so the most important thing to focus on during rush is being yourself and trying to find genuine connections in conversations with the sisters in each house.