A Friend Named Sim

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lehigh chapter.

Let me tell you a love story.  Better yet, let me tell you one we can all relate to, without much sappiness or emotion involved. But this is indeed a love story; it is one that includes companions that are together till the end.

Imagine a relationship where on the very first encounter there is an overwhelming feeling of excitement and newness swelling within you. You quickly find that this newfound friend serves as a convenient means of escape from reality. The more you delve into this relationship the harder it is to envision yourself without it. Dependency begins to sneakily make its way into this freshly formed bond.

Now imagine, through a sudden slip, you hurt your other half. Accidents happen, of course. But instead of the ever-long fight that usually ensues, you find that, in only a short period of time, your relationship is practically anew. Now, with the idea that you never have to be conscientious of how you treat your friend, the relationship becomes the strongest, yet shallowest one ever invented.  

Although this bond might seem uncanny, it’s one we are all surely experiencing, not with people, but with our cell phones. With all their versatility and wonder we forget what they actually are, a piece of plastic. How can we ask anything more from them? Yet, we do as we continue to create and make them better. 

Technology is deceiving. With the possibility of opening up and learning about different cultures and people, we’ve become even more closed-minded. Condensed, faster, more efficient, that’s all we care about. It all draws down to the classic tale of the turtle and the hare and we all know who won that race.

Yet, even with this wisdom we continue on with our lives, texting, messaging, tweeting in a superficially steadfast pace.

“Now are lives are changing fast. Hope that something pure can last.” – Arcade Fire