TV Blog: What’s on TV this week?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Dating show special

Now, this week I would like to draw focus on the prominence of dating shows on television. I wonder how many of you used to watch ‘Blind Date’ with Cilla Black when it was on, from 1985-2003? I know I did, because my Nan watched it religiously every week, and didn’t miss one episode throughout its legendary 18 year run on ITV. Cilla’s show was pretty unique back then, and there weren’t many other people who were brave enough to challenge her by creating an alternative dating show! In 2014 however, more and more dating shows are gradually emerging. I am a lover of a good dating show, and I recently discovered a pretty strange one…

So, before I reveal my new favourite dating show, I am going to give a brief run-down of the most probable reason why, after the demise of ‘Blind Date’, dating shows became popular again!

The ‘Take Me Out’ factor

Many would argue that Paddy McGuiness is the new Cilla Black. With regards to dating shows that is! Phenomenal success and cult status followed Take Me Out’s first series; viewers undeniably enjoyed the mystery of the ‘love lift’, attractive array of women and men, as well as the host’s hilarious catch-phrases. After ‘Blind Date’, there was the abysmal flop of ‘Celebrity Love Island’ back in 2005-6 and after that there had been a succinct lack in dating show style programs, until Take Me Out. Paddy’s mix of Northern charm and funny catch phrases alongside the highly amusing footage that accompanies each lad that comes down the love lift makes for perfect Saturday night viewing.

There have been some very memorable contestants, my favourite being Damion Merry. For those who don’t remember, here’s a quick reminder:

Damion single-handedly managed to insult almost every girl on the show, by stating that he would have picked Lucy to go on a date after she turned her light out, and then by trying to dig himself out of the hole he put himself in, made it even worse. And, it transpired after the show had been broadcast that he actually had a girlfriend- his now wife, apparently- so all this was fake basically! Oh Damion. Sadly, it was all not so merry for poor Chelsea who actually had to go through with the date after the disastrous episode, and ended up spending the day with charmer Damion in Fernando’s sadly!

Twisting the format

The program I watched this week genuinely shocked me at first, but then I was impressed at the clever twist in the standard dating show format.

The show is called ‘Sexy Beasts’ and is on BBC three. The premise is that there is a person who picks between three people as to who he/she thinks they are most suited to after a few dates. It sounds very typical…BUT I forgot to mention the use of Hollywood-level prosthetics! This means that neither the person picking their favourite, or the person hoping to be picked, knows what each-other looks like.

This allows them to get to know each-other’s personalities before discovering what they look like, which I thought was a welcome change to other dating shows, like ‘Take Me Out’ which generally focus on appearance. I was thoroughly shocked by some of the transformations after the make-up came off, and it really made a point of showing who found looks important, and who didn’t.

But now for my favourite…

I really enjoy a good dating show, not that you’ve probably noticed by now, and hope that they become even more of a phenomenon in the future.

I have to say though, without a shadow of a doubt I do have a favourite dating show: ‘Dinner Date’. It is the program I watch whenever I am bored, when I want some culinary idea to practice (or in some cases, to avoid) and is one of the few programs my mum and I both enjoy watching together. For those who haven’t seen it- where have you been?!

The program involves a man or a woman having five menus, and behind the menus are different men/women: the person going on the dates has to pick which three menus appeal the most, and go on dates with the people behind the menu. In the end, the person doing the dating picks the person they liked best of the three, and together they go on a second date in a fancy restaurant, whilst the other two receive ready meals for all their efforts!

My favourite bit of the show is the end bit, which shows who is single and who is not after the dates ended, and whether the couple saw each-other again after the show.

Definitely worth a watch, and keep an eye out for more dating shows, because I reckon they will be taking over soon!

Photos:

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1191318/thumbs/o-BLIND-DATE-570.jpg?2

http://img.thesun.co.uk/aidemitlum/archive/01451/SNF11TAKE2-532_1451772a.jpg

http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article9122910.ece/ALTERNATES/w620/Sexy-Beasts.jpg

http://i.thelocalpeople.co.uk/275788/Article/images/12807455/2964927.png

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ELb2vL2FFQ4/TOWbl06aO2I/AAAAAAAAAr0/zJCe7mrFkIA/s1600/DD_MENU.jpg

My name is Ella Duffy, I'm 22 years old and a recent graduate from the University of Leeds. Proudly once was co-president for Her Campus Leeds!