LEEDS FRESHERS SPECIAL- Dear Her Campus…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Moving home to go to uni in a new city changes your life completely. It’s an exciting time of new experiences and new people, and it may well be the start of the best three years (or longer if you’re lucky!) of your life. However it’s normal that, despite the excitement, you’ll also be a little nervous and have some concerns and worries. This is completely normal and Her Campus is here to reassure you and advise you on how to deal with the worries you may face starting uni.

I’m really missing home…

It’s completely normal to miss home when you’ve just moved out for the first time, even if you’re really enjoying uni life. It can be related to struggling to look after yourself, or a feeling that you’re surrounded by strangers instead of your close friends and family. Take some time to unpack all of your belongings and make your new room feel homely- you’ll be much happier about being there if you actually like the room. A simple phone call to your loved ones back home should make you feel much better, but bear in mind that if you talk to them too much you’ll be keeping yourself from making new friends. Making an effort to form new friendships will also help to prevent home-sickness, as you’ll feel less alone. Getting involved in societies and activities at uni will give you the opportunity to meet lots of new people as well as providing a distraction from your home-sickness. The chances are that, by keeping in touch with your friends and family whilst keeping yourself busy and making new friends, you’ll stop missing home so much once you settle into your new life. If this isn’t the case and you’re really struggling, make use of the university’s student support services which will find ways to help you feel more at home. 

I’m scared I won’t make any friends

This is a very common fear amongst new freshers, particularly those who are quite shy. So keep in mind that most, if not all, people will share your fear, and most people want to make a lot of friends. The fact is that uni is one of the friendliest experiences you’ll have and your new life will be full of opportunities to meet people. Make an effort to chat to the people in your halls and on your course. If you’re struggling to make friends then maybe you just haven’t found your place yet- joining clubs and societies will give you the opportunity to meet people who share your interests. Starting conversations with strangers can be daunting but just remember that everyone’s in the same boat.

I’m not getting on with my flatmate

Most people move into university accommodation with a positive attitude and make a real effort to get along with their new flatmates. However, you might find that you have an argument with a flatmate, or that you’re living with someone who you simply can’t get on with however hard you try. The important thing to remember in both situations is that you have to live together for the rest of the year. You must remember that if you and your flatmate are not getting along this will be difficult for not just both of you and also other flatmates. If you’ve had an argument the best thing to do is to resolve it as soon as possible, even if this means agreeing to disagree. The sooner you’ve talked, the sooner you can move on. If you’re not getting along with a flatmate and this is an ongoing thing, it may be best to keep out of each other’s way to an extent. Obviously you can’t completely avoid each other, especially as you may share the same circle of friends, but try spending some time with other friends instead. The less time you spend with someone, the easier it will be to get along when you are together. However annoying they may be, try to at least be civil and avoid drama, and don’t drag your other flatmates into the situation. If you feel that you really don’t enjoy living with your new flatmates, the university has a service which allows you to move accommodation after a few weeks. This may also seem intimidating but keep in mind that your new flatmates will only have known each other for a few weeks before you move in.

I’m worried about running out of money

It’s well known that students have no money. Yet all of those nights out can become expensive. It’s important to know what your income and outgoings will be so you can figure out your weekly budget, and then keep a note of everything you spend to ensure you stay on budget. It’s also worth looking into apps which help you to do this. If you’re really struggling financially, consider taking up a part-time job. Whilst university is time-consuming, you should have time to work even just a few hours a week. The trick is to be organised so you know when you’ll be at work and plan when you’ll fit in coursework etc around this. 

I’m concerned about the work load

Getting a decent degree IS a lot of work. However, as many graduates have proved, it’s very manageable. Once again, the trick is to be organised. Write a list of your modules and the coursework assignments and exams for each one, along with the deadlines and how much each assessment is worth so you can prioritise. Stick this up on your wall as a reminder. Start doing work early and plan when you’ll get things done. Sometimes it’s hard to stay motivated and turn down a night out in favour of writing an essay, but if you’re organised then you’ll easily have time for both. If you’re really struggling, it’s best to speak to your tutor or student support as soon as possible. They’ll advise you on how to manage your workload and help you to stay on track.

In the end, Freshers’ week is exciting! And although you may be nervous, remember that everyone’s in the same situation. Most of your worries will have gone by the end of the first week and everything will fall into place.

Image sources

www.clker.com 

www.bbc.co.uk

www.ssqq.com

www.blog.phroogal.com

www.innovativeteambuilding.co.uk