Her Campus does: LRFS, Talkin’ Bout A Revolution

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

The annual RAG fashion show is a date that every Leeds student knows to put in their diaries: it is one of RAG’s biggest and most successful events, and undoubtedly the most glamorous! All proceeds go to charity, with this year’s show donating to two extremely worthwhile causes, Leeds Mencap and Refugee Council.

Her Campus Leeds were lucky enough to not only witness the spectacle that was this year’s show, but also to get a glimpse of the good life, as we were given the VIP treatment! The VIP treatment included a generous goodie bag filled with items from the many sponsors, some glitter filled cocktails (heaven!) as well as  listening to a Red Bull DJ and having our photo taken on the makeshift red carpet. After mingling with the other guests and enjoying the drinks reception, we felt like Anna Wintour when we were lead to our FRONT ROW seats (or the ‘Frow’ as we like to call it). The Refectory had been transformed in preparation for the show, with the runway lit and ready for the models to strut down.

The show’s main strength, arguably, was the way it was organised. There were very different collections that each came with different music, graphics and lighting as well as very different styles.

The first collection was ‘Expect Resistance’, which embraced the punk era entirely: the models sulked their way down the catwalk wearing heavy makeup, tartan, netted skirts and feathers. The models ability to keep their strong, sullen pout was not unnoticed, and any nerves that they may have felt going first were definitely not detected!

The next collection could not have been a bigger contrast, and was a firm favourite amongst the audience. The aptly named ‘Kaleidoscope’ brought a massive injection of colour, celebrating LGBT pride with a very strong element of carnival spirit. The models in this collection were full of energy and enviable confidence, and their dancing was brilliantly infectious. The retro music fully encapsulated the vibe and the mood that of the collection, and the clothes style ranged but its main focus was on bright colours. The collection’s final model danced down the catwalk in a rainbow coloured dress to the disco classic ‘September’, which got everyone dancing in the audience and was an excellent end to the first half of the show.

After a small breather, the rainbow coloured confetti left from the previous collection was cleared from the runway and the second half begun.  The next collection was ‘Peace for the People’ which was a definite nod to Flower Power, with lots of retro glasses, bohemian style outfits and flower prints which were more than a little ‘Austin Powers’ style in places! The models were more chilled out, in a nod to the change in collection and mood, once again showing the strength in organisation and a clear differentiation between themes.

It’s also important to note that the show also included a number of non model performers: we were treated to a trio of sassy street dancers and a moving interpretive dance, a talented string player and a song about peace and love amongst others.  What was most striking was the contrast between the performers: nothing was remotely similar; they were all very diverse and kept the audience engaged between collections!

One of the most innovative collections was ‘What’s on your Mind?’ which was an ode to social media and the impact of technology on this generation and generations to come. Opening the new section were two models who walked out with their phone in hand! They stayed glued to their phones as they took to the catwalk, no mean feat when the female model had an extremely long draping dress, but she managed to avoid disaster and they both impressed with their multi-tasking ability. The whole collection was filled with metallic colours and lights, and finished their set with a model wearing a outfit covered with emojis, who whipped out her selfie stick and grabbed the other models for an impromptu snap. The clever critique and nod to our society’s undeniable obsession with social media was very well received, with rows of people ironically getting their phones out during the show to take pictures of the social commentary.

Finishing on a high note, the ‘Born Naked’ collection was all about empowerment, in particular about feminism and equality. With the background graphics ranging from powerful women in culture to phrases such as ‘Just because she’s wearing a skirt doesn’t mean she’s asking for it’, the final models were able to end the show with a lasting image and clear sense of girl power!

The end to the show was risqué, yet brilliant: a group of topless male models with their nipples covered was met with laughter and a round of applause, but this was nothing compared to the roar that followed when the final female model came out with a tight bodycon dress with a sheer panel at the front, which visibly showed her nipples. Chants of ‘Free the nipple’ were blaring and as all the models took their final lap down the runway, the room was filled with the sound of applause.

The time, thought and effort that went into this incredible show was clear to anyone watching from about 30 seconds in. The committee were able to create a seamless and effortless production, which was both stylistically innovative but also thought provoking, as each section of the show was so different from the last. What was also clear from the committee members who spoke on the evening was their passion and genuine interest in the charities that would be benefitting from the night’s success, and this, alongside such a committed team is what will continue to make the RAG fashion show a calendar staple for years to come. Thank you for having us!

All photos: Author’s own

My name is Ella Duffy, I'm 22 years old and a recent graduate from the University of Leeds. Proudly once was co-president for Her Campus Leeds!