This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

With the arrival of February also comes the arrival of plenty of pinks, reds, chocolates, and flowers. Love is in the air and Valentine’s Day is just around the corner. More important than Valentine’s Day, though, is Galentine’s Day.

What is Galentine’s Day, you ask?

Fans of Parks and Recreation will recognize the term as one coined by Leslie Knope to commemorate the day before Valentine’s Day, specifically dedicated to celebrating one’s female friendships. Although I’m a firm advocate for celebrating friendships every day, the idea of having one specific day to celebrate all the women who have made us better was definitely appealing. Ever since I watched the first Galentine’s Day episode, I’ve been sure to do a call out post and text to my girlfriends every February 13th.

The best part about it? Galentine’s Day is about celebrating all of the important women in your life. Friends, mothers, aunts, sisters, grandmothers… if she’s a women you admire, Galentine’s Day is about celebrating her. I can’t think of a more delightful way to recognize the important women in your life!

Galentine’s 2017 is coming up quickly. If you’re in need of some inspiration for the best way to say “Thank you” to the tribe you couldn’t live without, here are just a few ideas!

1. Coordinate a get together.

Especially when we get to our university years, and beyond them, finding a time to have all of your friends or family in the same room can be challenging. Use Galentine’s Day as an excuse to get together with everyone, whether that be for dinner, a movie, or just a cup of coffee!

1. Give gifts.

You don’t need to do anything as elaborate as Leslie Knope (hand-stitched face pillow, anyone?) but there are little ways you can show your gals you’re thinking of them! Buy them some chocolate or the book they’ve been eyeing. You could send some flowers to brighten up their apartment. Even a card is a sweet gesture that they’re sure to appreciate! If you’re on a tighter budget, one of my personal favourites is printing out your favourite photo of you and your girls, then framing it and giving it to them. Bonus: as well as being sentimental, photos help bring a bit of life to the drab rooms or offices that we tend to spend a lot of time in!

1. Say hello.

It seems so simple, but sometimes we get caught up in the busyness of university and everyday life and forget to call, text, or Skype. Galentine’s Day is the perfect day to find just ten minutes in your schedule to shoot your besties a message thanking them for everything and reminding them that they’re loved. You’d be surprised how much a few words can mean!

No matter how you and your tribe choose to celebrate Galentine’s Day this year, I hope it’s a day filled with all the love and laughter your friendship inspires! Happy Galentine’s Day, friends. 

Images from:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/maggyvaneijk/breasties-before-testes?utm_term=.yrVeqzqwX#.yszYlxldm

https://ww2.kqed.org/arts/2015/02/13/celebrate-your-gal-pals-on-galentines-day-leslie-knope-style/

http://leslieknopeparksandrec.blogspot.co.uk/