Best family spots for dinner or drinks in Leeds.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

My family have announced they’re making the long, arduous journey to visit me in Leeds next weekend. I love when my Mum comes to visit; more often than not she brings my dog and takes me for a big Sainsbury’s shop where I splash out on cheese and quilted toilet roll. However, I always get a bit stumped when thinking, where do I take my family out to eat? I mean, I’m not sure they’d see the fun side of having your shoes stuck to the floor of Fruity or understand why everyone is wearing baseball caps in Canal Mills, ‘it’s night time?’ Mum would no doubt ponder, and to be honest, it would be a fair point.

So, just in case anyone was having the same little stress as me, I thought I’d compile a small list of places that will (hopefully) impress your parents!

Friends of Ham:

It’s right by the station for starters, so if it’s a fleeting lunch you’re after then Friends of Ham is the perfect place. They specialise in a selection of meats, cheese, bread, beer and wine. The dream. My advice would be to try and get an upstairs table; it can get a little dingy and smoky in the secret underground basement where the restaurant originated. I’ll confess, I’ve never actually sampled anything from the hot menu but the cold platters are amazing and I’m a creature of habit. However, I did notice for the autumn/winter menu they’re bringing back raclette, a delicious melted cheese which would definitely trump the platter in my opinion. Anyhow, Friends of Ham is a sociable, relaxed restaurant where you don’t have to get on the glad rags to enjoy good food and wine.

The Mustard Pot:

The reason I’ve suggested this cosy ‘country’ pub is often parents come with a car, so you can venture a little further from Headingley than usual. The Mustard Pot is located in Chapel Allerton, about a 10 minute drive from Hyde Park. It’s a modern, cosy, friendly pub where you can bring your dog and it serves top of the range pub style food (i.e. a Sunday roast with all the trimmings, yum). However, it’s edge is that in the winter they have a tipi style tent outside complete with blankets, fairy lights and an open fire; the perfect family environment to drink far too much mulled wine (if that’s even possible).

Headrow House:

This is the perfect location for a few evening drinks in the city centre. They’ve got an extensive gin list, and if your Mum is anything like mine, then a few G&T’s go down an absolute treat. Although there are several different floors, it’s definitely worth hiking up the stairs to see the sunset on the roof terrace- it’s owned by the same people as Belgrave but a little more chic and doesn’t have half as many hipsters- but it’s still Leeds, you’re never too far away from someone donning Adidas Originals. Disclaimer: it’s pretty chilly so bring a coat.

Santorini Bar and Grill:

Located in Headingley, it’s a small Greek and Turkish restaurant with super friendly staff, wonderful food and an extensive cocktail menu. Perfect spot for a birthday! You might want to book your table to be on the safe side as it does tend to pack out, which can only really mean good things. Similar to Friends of Ham you can dig in to the delicious platters, but if you’re not so keen on sharing your food then I can vouch for a traditional moussaka. Another bonus; they cater well for veggies or people with gluten intolerance. I’ve had assurances from a few friends that it’s been a big hit with their parents- so definitely worth a try!

Gusto:

If it’s a quick city centre bite you’re after, then Gusto is definitely a good place to start. The decor claims to be inspired by F. Scott Fitzgerald, all black and gold with plush leather booths so you do get a little privacy. But more importantly, the food is delicious. The menu is compiled of classic food with a modern twist, all at a reasonable price. If you’ve got younger brothers or siblings then Gusto’s will be a hit as until 6pm, every day, kids get to make their own pizza! (If it was a big enough portion, I’d definitely be making my own pizza too…). Situated on Greek Street, Gusto is in the perfect location to grab some after dinner drinks, or take your parents along to Bierkeller!

Obviously this is not the be all and end all of lovely Leeds locations, but as I said I’m struggling to come up with places so if you’ve got any suggestions I’d be delighted! If not- hopefully you enjoy some delicious food and drinks next time your family come to visit and if you don’t, please don’t hold me responsible!

Image 1- http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=friends+of+ham&view=detailv2&&id=196…

Image 2- https://www.instagram.com/p/BMb7DFGhevT/?taken-by=headrowhouse

Image 3 – http://santorinileeds.co.uk/our-gallery/