Phin Phood & Phitness: Conquering Your Health and Exercise Issues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Le Moyne chapter.

Hey ladies! So now that it’s October and getting closer to Halloween we tend to find ourselves surrounded by deliciously sweet snacks! It’s so hard not to get caught up in a lifetime movie and find yourself elbow deep in a bag of candy corn on a chilly day, but here are some tips!

1.) Don’t buy yourself candy! It seems simple but if you find your self in a Walgreens or Dollar Tree there are always SO many of your favorite bite sized candies surrounding you…it’s hard to say no…but a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do!

2.) Remember that tiny Halloween costume you need to get into! Think about what you’re eating before you eat it. You’re putting in good time at the gym so you can wear that cutesy little get-up (whatever it may be) on halloweekend! Don’t add an extra muffin top when you don’t need to!

3.) Don’t deprive yourself forever! Save up your sweet tooth for Halloween and let yourself have something tasty! In moderation of course, you cant ever go stuff your face with cupcakes, gummy worms and candy corn…it just isn’t gonna work ladies! You deserve a good old-fashioned treat every once in a while and use Halloween a cheat day!

Have a spooktacular week, and I’ll talk to you guys next week about some more October tricks to avoiding treats! But for now, keep reading to find out what Val has in store for you this week in exercise tips!

Hello Ladies! Val here this week to give yet another power move to ensure you beauties keep those bods in check while at school!

This week’s target area is our shoulders and I’ve got the perfect move to make sure that those shoulders stay slim. The power move of this week is called The Scaption and Shrug. Now unlike the past few weeks this move does require a pair of small dumbbells – the weight is up to you, whatever you’re comfortable with!

Here’s how to do the move:

Start off by holding your dumbbells making sure your feet are shoulder-width apart, this is your starting position. Next, let your dumbbells hang next to your sides and then have your palms facing each other. Raise your arms without changing the bend from your elbows and then keep your arms up so that they form a Y shape. Once you’re at the top shrug your shoulders upward, pause and then bring the movement to the starting position and repeat.

Repeat as many times as you can until you can feel the burn!

There’s your key to sexy slender shoulders!

Valerie’s Playlist of the Week:

Your Body – Christina Aguilera
I Knew You Were Trouble – Taylor Swift
One Shot- Danity Kane
Gangnam Style- Psy
Closer- Tegan and Sara
Pursuit of Happiness- Kid Cudi
Waka Waka- Shakira
Diamonds- Rihanna
We’ll Be Coming Back – Calvin Harris
We Run The Night- DJ Havana Brown

Junior Communications Major with a concentration in Journalism. Minors in Creative Writing, Art, English, and Business.