Music According to Val: ZZ Ward

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Le Moyne chapter.

Happy Thursday Lovies! 

Hope everyone has had a great week so far, two more days until the weekend! Woo!

So I’m back again bringing you a new artist to check out and her name is ZZ Ward. I discovered ZZ Ward a few months randomly while listening to the John Newman Pandora Station and I have been obsessed with her to say the least!  She sounds like a sassy female version of John Newman and a mix of Adele.

Born Zsuzanna Eva Ward in Pennsylvania, ZZ Ward got her start just two years ago in 2012.  She is a women of many talents, she writes her own songs,  and play a few instruments like the harmonica, piano and the guitar.

Ward first broke out onto the scene with her free mixtape,”Eleven Roses” where she put her own twist on songs by Kendrick Lamar and Tyler the Creator.  Soon after her mixtape she released her EP, which caught the attention of many people. You may be familiar with one of Ward’s song if you watch the show “ Pretty Little Liars” because her song “Till The Casket Drops” was apart of the advertisements for the show.  Word started spreading about ZZ Ward and she was making stops at all these talk shows like Conan and Good Morning America.

The reason ZZ Ward intrigued me was because she has this unique sound, her music is a mix of blues with a mix of rock and her songs are full of so much powerful energy.  Her songs talk about a variety of things like being in love, to being heartbroken, to just songs about having fun.

If you want to hear some of ZZ Ward’s music, I suggest checking out her album” Till The Casket Drops” which include some of my favorite songs right now.  I guarantee you’ll be singing along to ZZ in no time!