This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Le Moyne chapter.

Body Shaming

(photo credit: http://hellcat-vintage.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/body-love.jpg)

Body Shaming

This is a very hard topic to talk about because it’s very controversial and complicated. You may be asking what is body shaming? Body shaming is making someone feel bad about their body because it does not fit your definition of beautiful. This is the thing that makes us feel like our beautiful bodies don’t live up to expectations. Every girl goes through this at some point in their life.

Body shaming can happen in a variety ways: making rude and hurtful comments to someone or giving someone a judging look. But people around us aren’t the only thing influencing us to feel self-conscious about our bodies. The media also has a huge influence on us and our perception of the world. Celebrities that wear makeup at all moments and have major photoshop done to their photos give us an unreal impression of them. The dozens of commercials on tv that advertise diets and even Michelle Obama’s campaign to decrease obesity in children make us think that we are unappealing.

The effort to change needs to start with us. I know it can be hard not to judge someone. Trust me, I have a hard time not casting a judgemental eye while walking around campus. But we need to turn our body shame into body positivity! On the other hand, body positivity is accepting your body regardless of weight and believing anyone can be beautiful at any size. Literally anyone can be gorgeous with the right style. So wear what you want with confidence and you will be beautiful.

“One day I decided that I was beautiful, and so I carried out my life as if I was a beautiful girl. I wear colors that I really like, I wear makeup that makes me feel pretty, and it really helps. It doesn’t have anything to do with how the world perceives you. What matters is what you see. Your body is your temple, it’s your home, and you must decorate it.”

-Gabourey Sidibe

Inez Timberger is currently one of two Campus Correspondents for HC Le Moyne! She is studying Communications with a strong focus in film and TV. Inez's life consists of everything pop culture and Netflix. She is also a part of LCTV, a student run TV news program, and Le Moyne Makes Movies. Inez enjoys fashion, makeup and healthy stuff. 
Asiana Smith is a Communications Major with a concentration in Public Relations and a minor in Sociology.