This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

In an event on Jan. 20, 2018, women around the United States stood together and rallied to have their voices heard.  This is the second year the women’s march has taken place, with the first year being extremely popular right after the inauguration of Trump and focused on protesting his plans to devalue Planned Parenthood.  This year, even more issues, such as the #metoo movement and including everyone in woman’s rights (not just cis, white females), became hot topics at the march.  The marchers stood at major cities taking place in D.C., N.Y.C., Boston, L.A., Chicago, and Las Vegas, and were even joined by a few celebrities.  Here’s a recap of the major moments:

1. Scarlett Johansson called out James Franco in regards to sexual assault. 

The Time’s Up movement has gained momentum in the past few months as sexual assault victims bravely have come forward to identify their attackers. In Los Angeles, Johansson proudly stood at a podium and said, “My mind baffles—how could a person publicly stand by an organization that helps to provide support for victims of sexual assault while privately preying on people who have no power?  I want my pin back by the way.”  Later on, it was identified that she was referring to actor James Franco. For those who don’t know, Franco was accused by five women for claims of sexual harassment, and while walking the Golden Globes this year, also sported a Time’s Up pin in support of the movement.  Franco has made word that the claims against him were “not accurate”. 

2. Halsey moves everyone with her poem, “A Story Like Mine,” supporting the #metoo movement.

At just 23-years-old, singer Halsey reveals that her life was changed too many times due to sexual assault or abuse.  In her free-verse poem delivered to the crowds of New York City, Halsey stood and revealed her darkest times. Just listening to it brought many people in the audience to tears.  One of the most powerful lines stated, “He says I can’t say no to him, This much I owe to him, He buys my dinner, so I have to blow him, He’s taken to forcing me down on my knees, And I’m confused ’cause he’s hurting me while he says please, And he’s only a man, and these things he just needs, He’s my boyfriend, so why am I filled with unease?”  The poem was so straightforward and recognized that as humans, celebrities or not, all women struggle and have similar stories.  In a later tweet she identified that she was “comforted and saddened” that so many women could relate to her hardships. 

3. The movement was recognized by President Trump himself.

Yes, what started as a movement to get Trump to stop being a sexist pig, as well as to challenge and protest his views on what women are capable of, actually ended up getting his attention.  In a surprising tweet, Trump said, “Beautiful weather all over our great country, a perfect day for all Women to March. Get out there now to celebrate the historic milestones and unprecedented economic success and wealth creation that has taken place over the last 12 months. Lowest female unemployment in 18 years!”  A lot of people called B.S. to his tweet and Nancy Sinatra even responded and said, “Shut up. Just shut up.” 

4. A pink revolution took over major cities across America.

Last year, symbolic pink hats were worn on the streets.  This year, D.C. and other major cities were flooded in pink in support of the movement. 

5. Viola Davis speaks powerful demands on behalf of women of color.

In Los Angeles, Viola Davis talked in detail about the nation’s history of inequality and the abuse of power.  This speech was so important because it brought women of all colors included in this march and showed that the issues aren’t just about cis white females.  In a quote she said, “The reason why Jim Crow laws were in place, that stifled my rights and your rights, is because we fell asleep.  We fall asleep when we’re moving ahead and we don’t look to the left and right and see we’re not including people in this move ahead. Because really, at the end of the day, we only move forward when it doesn’t cost us anything. But I’m here today saying that no one and nothing can be great unless it costs you something.”

Madison Paloski is a senior at Lasell University studying fashion communication and promotion and graphic design.  She is currently the Editor in Chief of her school's chapter of Her Campus, an editorial stylist for POLISHED Magazine and Founder and Creative Director of the Fashion Styling and Photography Club on her campus.  She can most likely be found with an old film camera in hand, eating Chipotle, or at any local Saver's.  Her Instagram can be found at @maddiiiooyx and other work can be found at madisonpaloski.wixsite.com/portfolio.