Winter Skin and Hair Savers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

We all know winter brings chapped lips, cracked hands, and dry skin. Some of these are unavoidable, some can be easily controlled but there is always an easy solution. Read these tips on the best ways to prevent and heal these majorly ugly and painful problems.

First, buy a few tubes of chapstick and sample sized bottles of lotion. Something many forget during the wintertime is that moisturizing is the most important thing. Good brands are Burt’s Bees, Nivea, Aveeno, and Eos. Look for products with natural ingredients and oils and Vitamin E. Keep these everywhere you go! You constantly need to apply chapstick and lotion to protect from the harsh air. It’s inevitable that you will lose a tube or two at some point so always have a back-up near you. However, be careful to find a balance between moisturizing sufficiently and moisturizing too much because your skin could become addicted to the product, if you forget to swipe on some balm for an hour, your lips will immediately react and become chapped. 

The next important thing to use is oils. Skin oils have been a rising trend in the skincare industry but many consumers are still afraid to use them. It is a misconception that they will make your skin break out or that they will clog your pores. Oils are so good for your skin! The most popular are Argan, Moroccan, and Coconut. You can get these at any beauty supplier, like Sephora (try Josie Maran Argan Oil), or any natural or health food store. Do make sure if you are buying coconut oil that it says for skin and hair and that it is not the kind for cooking. These oils can be used on your face after washing or throughout the day on dry areas. A few drops on the fingertips is a sufficient amount- be careful and don’t go overboard; start with just a hint and add more if you need. They can also be used on the body and in hair. These natural oils in your hair will protect, moisturize, and repair split ends. 

Whether or not oils are your moisture of choice, it is extremely important to use a face moisturizer and body lotion. Simple is a great light and natural, vitamin-filled option but of course there are endless amounts of brands to choose from. Make sure you apply your body lotion as soon as possible after exiting the shower as hot water is really drying to the skin, and the longer you wait, the dryer it will become. 

There are thousands of DIY face and hair masks to choose from! There are plenty you can buy too, like OGX Argan Oil of Morocco Intense Moisturizing Treatment or The Body Shop Vitamin E Sink in Moisture Mask but sometimes it’s fun to treat ourselves and use natural ingredients we can make ourselves. Try these recipes and then go explore Pinterest to find more of your own.

Oatmeal Honey Face Scrub: Mix two parts oatmeal (ground up finely in a blender), one part honey, and one part coconut oil, scrub on the face for a few minutes and rinse off. 

Hair Mask: In a bowl, mash one avocado and add a tablespoon of olive oil and a tablespoon of honey. Leave on for fifteen to twenty minutes and rinse.

For dry hands, you can also slather on a thick layer of lotion and cover with gloves to sleep in, or do the same with socks on your feet. Another alternative is to use paraffin wax. Use a paraffin bath like Conair’s ($30) and you can dip your hands or feet in hot wax which will harden and be left on for about half an hour revealing soft silky skin. Repairing skin and staying warm on a cold day? Perfect! 

Finally, take vitamins. It is really important to take vitamins in general because you probably are not getting enough essential nutrition throughout the day. As far as skin and hair health, Biotin for hair, skin, and nails is great and so is Vitamin E. You can get these in gummy form if pills bother you. VitaminWorld always has great deals, although they are scarce in gummies. However, the pills don’t taste bad and once you get in the habit of taking them, it’s really not a big deal. Now go protect your skin! 

Katelynn, Lasell's chapter treasurer, is a Fashion Communication and Promotion major at Lasell with a double minor in Graphic Design and Event Management. She just returned from a semester abroad in Florence, Italy and this is her second year writing for Her Campus Lasell. Along with being a part of Graphic Design League, POLISHED Magazine, Hope For Humanity, and the Lasell College Honors Program, Katelynn is a lover of cats and vegan food.