Is United the Way to Go?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Last Sunday on April 9, an incident occurred on a United Airlines flight involving the violent removal of a passenger. The passenger was David Dao, a 69-year-old doctor who claimed it was necessary for him to arrive to Kentucky as he had patients to take care of in the morning. The Chicago Department of Aviation forcefully removed Dao off the plane, leaving him with a concussion, broken nose, damaged sinuses, and the loss of two teeth.

In 2016 alone, United Airlines was known for denying 3,765 passengers on overbooked flights while 62,895 gave up their seats voluntarily. According to Tyler Bridge, a passenger on the flight, the crew was trying to make room for four United Airline employees. The airlines offered a $800 voucher increasing to a $1,000 compensation to four passengers that would be willing to exit the plane. Three individuals took the offer; however, when United Airlines staff came to Dao asking for his cooperation he explained that he was unwilling due to his situation.

Soon after the incident and being released from the hospital, Dao and his lawyer made it clear that they will be fighting for the rights of travelers who are mistreated. In March, United was also reported to have removed two women to exit the plane as their leggings went against the dress code. The dress code was supposedly developed to ensure that United Airline staff would be work effectively.

Since United Airlines has been caught in the wrong recently, here are recommended airlines or booking platforms to ensure that you will have a safe and relaxing travel…

• Student Universe online server primarily for college students on a budget. Student Universe assists young adults in searching for the most inexpensive, flight, hotel, and even tours.  

• Ryanair- a low budget airline in Dublin, Ireland. This travels throughout Europe, Morocco, Cyprus, and the Canary Islands.

• Virgin America- The best inexpensive airline in North America, known for its high-quality service with prices of a low-cost carrier.

• West Jet-  Offers a variety of destinations including: Canadian cities, United States, Mexico, and the Caribbean. The airline was also awarded as the J.D. Power Customer Service Champion for its high standing service.

• Southwest- Known for their caring and friendly crew and staff, they made news when a pilot flew an outgoing flight for a grandfather who needed to see his dying 2 year-old grandson. They are also known for their check-in and their unique open-seating method. Southwest travels throughout the U.S., Caribbean, and Mexico.

Ariana Matos

Northeastern '21

I am a Northeastern commmunication studies student with a minor in fashion global studies. As a writer correspondent the concentration of my writing are personal reflections on life experiences, fashion, media and culture, food and lifestyle. In addition to being a writer I am a leader for Her Campus NU's Snapchat account.