Top 5 Christmas Albums to Get You in the Holiday Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Christmas songs are the ultimate way to get into the holiday spirit.  They have a way of getting stuck in your head and never leaving until after the holidays.  Even though it’s just the same 10 songs using different renditions, it’s fun to hear favorite artists singing classic tunes.  The top five best Christmas albums include all different songs to really get ready to celebrate.

1.   Merry Christmas by Mariah Carey

Everyone knows Mariah Carey’s rendition of “All I Want for Christmas is You” because it became one of the best-selling singles of all times.  The song was featured on her album, next to “Silent Night,” “O Holy Night,” “Joy to the World,” and “Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town.”  Released in 1994 during Carey’s peak of her career, it still remains a top album to listen to 20 years later.  As of 2015, the album has sold 5.5 million copies.

2.   Christmas by Michael Bublé

Michael Bublé is a Canadian singer, best known for his jazzy, cabaret voice.  The album was released in 2011 and was his second Christmas themed album.  In 2012, he re-released the same album with added songs, but neither was as iconic as his second one.  His rendition of “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” is the most well-known Christmas song by him.  His jazzy tone makes the rendition worth the listen.

3.   8 Days of Christmas by Destiny’s Child

Beyoncé makes every song better.  In 2001, when she was still part of the R&B group Destiny’s Child, they released a Christmas album.  The album contains nine tracks featuring traditional Christmas songs and three original songs. What’s great about this album is everything is re-arranged to have up-tempo beats and are all put into an R&B format.  The biggest song on this album was “8 Days of Christmas”, based on “The Twelve Days of Christmas.”

4.   Elvis’ Christmas Album by Elvis Presley

Elvis remains a classic whether it be his regular music, or his Christmas renditions.  The album was released in 1957.  It was such a hit; it has sold at least 13 million copies in the United States.  The album consists of eight Christmas songs, and four gospel songs.  Elvis chose to open the album with a blues-based rock and roll number, “Santa Claus is Back in Town”.

5.   The Taylor Swift Holiday Collection by Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift’s Christmas album is perfect for anyone who wants to add a little country twang to their holidays.  This album, released in 2007, was sold exclusively to Target stores in the United States and online.  It features cover versions of the hottest Christmas songs and two original tracks written by Swift, “Christmases When You Were Mine” and “Christmas Must Be Something More”.  Even though this was technically an EP instead of an album, it’s still worth the listen.

Madison Paloski is a senior at Lasell University studying fashion communication and promotion and graphic design.  She is currently the Editor in Chief of her school's chapter of Her Campus, an editorial stylist for POLISHED Magazine and Founder and Creative Director of the Fashion Styling and Photography Club on her campus.  She can most likely be found with an old film camera in hand, eating Chipotle, or at any local Saver's.  Her Instagram can be found at @maddiiiooyx and other work can be found at madisonpaloski.wixsite.com/portfolio.