Starbucks Supporting the Refugee Crisis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

The fright coming with the refugee crisis is becoming increasingly worse since Donald Trump signed an executive order not allowing people from seven majority-Muslim countries and all refugees from entering the U.S. However, there is a silver lining from this situation coming from the Starbucks company.

In a message sent out to all employees of the Starbucks chain, Starbucks chairman and CEO, Howard Schultz, stated: “I write to you today with deep concern, a heavy heart and a resolute promise. Let me begin with the news that is immediately in front of us: we have all been witness to the confusion, surprise and opposition to the Executive Order that President Trump issued on Friday, effectively banning people from several predominantly Muslim countries from entering the United States, including refugees fleeing wars. I can assure you that our Partner Resources team has been in direct contact with the partners who are impacted by this immigration ban, and we are doing everything possible to support and help them to navigate through this confusing period.”

He continued by outlining how he will accelerate their company’s commitment to communicating and engaging.  First, he stated that he will support DACA, the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals by helping them realize their own American Dream.  

“We want them to feel welcome and included in our success, which is why we reimburse them for the biennial fee they must pay to stay in the program and why we have offered DACA-related services at our Opportunity Youth hiring fairs,” Schultz said.

One of their most controversial plans so far is that they are planning to hire 10,000 refugees over the next five years.  This statement has received the most backlash since it has been released on Jan. 29 with people arguing that unemployed Blacks, Hispanics, and Veterans should be the first to be hired instead of the refugees. While many customers were immediately supportive of Starbucks’ actions on social media, others threatened to boycott after the letter’s release.  Some even went as far as to say that the Starbucks company does not care about American safety.

Schultz talks about how he wants to continue creating opportunities for everyone: “We have a long history of hiring young people looking for opportunities and a pathway to a new life around the world. This is why we are doubling down on this commitment by working with our equity market employees as well as joint venture and licensed market partners in a concerted effort to welcome and seek opportunities for those fleeing war, violence, persecution and discrimination.”

Howard Schultz reiterates that he wishes to stay true to his company’s values and doing everything possible to support and invest in every employee’s well- being.  Starbucks aims to inspire and nurture the human spirit; it is important to them that everyone voices are heard.

Madison Paloski is a senior at Lasell University studying fashion communication and promotion and graphic design.  She is currently the Editor in Chief of her school's chapter of Her Campus, an editorial stylist for POLISHED Magazine and Founder and Creative Director of the Fashion Styling and Photography Club on her campus.  She can most likely be found with an old film camera in hand, eating Chipotle, or at any local Saver's.  Her Instagram can be found at @maddiiiooyx and other work can be found at madisonpaloski.wixsite.com/portfolio.