SexEd: The Stance on Sex and Gender, Presidential Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

November 8th, 2016. It’s just around the corner.

For those who are unaware of the importance of this date, it is the day the United States of America will decide who will grace the oval office for the next four years.

Now the U.S.A. is made up of millions of people, and it is impossible to think that everyone will agree, much less interact, with each other. Citizens of this country are of a variety of different backgrounds, practicing different belief systems, and putting faith in various values. For those who are still unsure of whom to CHECK YES to, or maybe even unaware of the the options on the ballot, here is some information on gender and sex based issues to consider before heading to the polls.

This information is meant to be as objective as possible in order to provide less personal opinion and more factual evidence. Direct quotes are taken from video or written documentation of the 2016 debates between the Democratic and Republican nominees. .

Gender Neutral Bathrooms:

Donald Trump:

In reference to the North Carolina Bathroom Law or HB2, that includes allowing private businesses to deny transgender individuals the right to use the bathroom that matches their gender identity, Trump stated:

“Leave it the way it is, right now. There have been very few problems….North Carolina with what they’re going through, with all of the business that’s leaving and all of the strife….leave it the way it is. There have been very few complaints.”

The Today Show, April 21st, 2016

Hillary Clinton:

In a statement recorded by a local paper regarding HB2, Clinton spoke the words “[HB2] has hurt people……it tells them ‘you are not wanted and are not part of us.’”

Clinton has strongly opposed of the North Carolina law since it first came to light, feeling it denies basic human rights.

The Duke Chronicle, September 27th, 2016

Same Sex Marriage Law (Passed in 2015):

Donald Trump:

“The Supreme Court has issued an opinion on this. Same-sex marriage is an issue that should have been decided by the states.

Hillary Clinton:

“Every loving couple & family deserves to be recognized & treated equally under the law across our nation. #LoveMustWin #LoveCantWait.

Abortion:

Donald Trump:

PRO-LIFE

CM: Do you believe in punishment for abortion, yes or no? DT: Yes.

March 2016 interview with MSNBC correspondent Chris Matthews

In the following weeks, the candidate replaced this stance with, “This issue is unclear and should be put back into the states for determination. Like Ronald Reagan, I am Pro-Life with exceptions.”

Following that statement was another by the campaign, stating, “If abortion were made illegal the doctor or any other person performing this illegal act upon a woman would be held legally responsible, not the woman. The woman is a victim in this case as is the life in her womb.”

CNN

Hillary Clinton:

PRO-CHOICE

“Politicians have no business interfering with women’s personal health decisions. I will oppose efforts to roll back women’s access to reproductive health care. Including…..efforts to defund Planned Parenthood….I’ll stand up for Planned Parenthood and women’s access to critical health services, including safe, legal abortion.”

Hillary Clinton Campaign, January 6th, 2016

Clinton has continued to fight for the women’s right to have access to a safe and legal abortion, if that is what they choose, including supporting organizations like Planned Parenthood who provide this along with other services.  

Planned Parenthood

Sexual Assault:

It is difficult to determine the support either candidate would give to survivors of sexual assault and harassment based on such personal negative connections to the issue. As in many cases, the survivors voices are drowned out by the media, and because there is often little physical evidence left in such situations, it makes it that much harder to prove to the world their story is valid to the public. This section is not meant to be a representation of the personal views of this writer or of Her Campus Lasell. We identify as a community that supports those who have been effected by sexual violence and harassment as they transition from victim to survivor and beyond. If there is any chance the following statements will trigger personal experiences with sexual assault in any form please be prepared to follow through with a self care plan following the article or discontinue reading altogether. Take care however is best.

Donald Trump:

In the past month, multiple women have come forward with accusations of sexual assault committed by Donald J. Trump. These include personal details including unwanted touching of the legs, breasts and vagina as well as non-consensual kissing.

The presidential candidate denies these claims, stating that a couple of these women are/were not “attractive enough for him.”

The Los Angeles Times, October 15th 2016

Hillary Clinton:

Most public information being provided regarding Hillary Clinton and sexual assault is connected to this candidate’s spouse who served as President of the United States in the nineties. There is ongoing interest whether or not Hillary Clinton intimidated and/or communicated with women who accused former President Bill Clinton of sexual harassment and assault.

While there has been evidence provided that Hillary Clinton hired a private investigator in regards to one of her husband’s sexual partners there is less to support the intimidation accusations.

CNN, October 10th 2016

Once again, the above information does not reflect the views of the Her Campus Lasell Team or this writer. We acknowledge that lack of evidence does not mean an assault did not occur, it means that the information provided to the public regarding these events is limited or unobtainable. 

While these are only four issues in the large scheme of debates, they are part of the core make-up of a society because they deal with human beings on the most intimate of levels. Now that doesn’t mean this is the end-all-be-all of who these candidates are but it does give some insight as to who they are in relation to those around them and how they see the world. No presidential candidate is perfect by any means, but matching personal values as closely as possible to a candidate that shares those values best promotes a better future for the current generation, and those generations to come.

As hard as it may sound in this election where most people are voting based on their fears, voting for personal values is possible based on the candidates that are provided. It simply depends on what values take priority over others. Keep in mind that though the United States is a democracy, it is mostly a two party system and there are limits to finding a candidate that represents every value.

The key to voting, like anything else, is proper knowledge. So watch the debates, do a little research (using reputable sources) and mark the calendar for November 8th, 2016 to head to the polls.

(Otherwise get that absentee ballot yesterday.)

Haleigh West is an Honor's Student majoring in Fashion Design with a double minor in Environmental Studies and Studio Art. Her articles are centered around sexual awareness and relationship advice, with the occasional piece focusing on social justice from a feminist perspective. Outside of HerCampus, she runs Lasell's chapter of Active Minds, an organization dedicated to ending the stigma of mental illness on campus, and is an avid hiker who never stops exploring.As a self proclaimed "equalist" she is determined to live in a world where all are created equal. Free of sexism, free of racism, free of all stigma. A truly free world.