An Overview of the 2016 VS Fashion Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

The ever eventful 2016 Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show aired Dec. 5 on CBS. The show, located in Paris this year, focused on six themes: The Road Ahead, focusing on the concepts of rich colors and textures; Mountain Range, focusing on feminine florals and delicate embroidery; Pink Nation, rocking bright hues, metallic and graphics of their famous logo; Secret Angel, accentuating accents of cut-outs and lace; Dark Angel, embracing midnight shades in sexy lace; and Bright Night Angel, featuring lit up sequins and details.

Gigi and Bella Hadid and Kendall Jenner stole the show modeling, while Lady Gaga, Bruno Mars, and The Weeknd performed. It was a show that should not be missed.

Finally, natural hair was celebrated in the 2016 VS show. Last year, everyone went nuts when model Maria Borges made history by debuting her natural hair on the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show runway.  The move this year was intentional, most likely because of the positive uproar last year’s Borges caused.  

“We want to embrace everyone’s natural beauty,” said lead hair stylist Sarah Potempa. “We’re giving a carefree approach to the length and type of curl.  Some women with shorter hair, maybe a lob, will walk with that hair. We’re not going to add extensions to make it super long. And if someone has short hair on the side or a tight haircut, we’re not going to put a wig on or put extensions on their head. We’re going to embrace it.” This movement was noticed worldwide as a turning point in fashion runway history, considering how enormous this event is.

Lady Gaga was the honorary angel this year for the show. She sang songs off her new album Joanne, including “A-Yo” and “John Wayne”. She was so grateful for the experience of working with the team that she brought each angel a rose and a sweet treat as a gift for making her feel like part of the family.

Bruno Mars was the much anticipated performer for this show. With him, he debuted literal magic, not by singing “24 Karat Gold,” which surprised a lot of people, but instead singing “Chunky,” which can easily become a new anthem. Lastly, The Weeknd was a huge sensation. He dominated the stage with his hit “Starboy.”

Gigi Hadid had a small wardrobe malfunction during her second Victoria’s Secret fashion show.  The 21-year-old model walked down the angel runway wearing large feather wings and a black bodysuit featuring straps intricately arranged in a geometric pattern.  While walking, one of the pieces snapped, and with all of the interconnected pieces, it looked like the entire intricate piece would unravel.  Even though it was minor, it could have been a huge issue.  

The outfits were over-the-top and some unexpected.  Kendall Jenner also found herself walking the runway where the best friend dynamic duo of her and Gigi was a ‘can’t miss’ sight.  The wings this year were exotic and extraordinary, which definitely was not expected.  

Josephine Skriver, pictured left, strutted in wings that resembled trees more than anything else. Adriana Lima, pictured right, was wearing what looked like a giant, colorful dreamcatcher on her back, instead of wings.  Some outfits definitely embodied their theme.  The Fantasy bra made its annual appearance, this year on Jasmine Tookes.  The bra is $3 million and she described wearing it as “a dream come true.”

The entire show was an iconic event.  Each annual show brings its own themes and beautiful lingerie.  The iconic wings make for a show-stopping event.  This show, more than any other, embraced natural and exotic themes, making it a historical event in Victoria’s Secret fashion.

Madison Paloski is a senior at Lasell University studying fashion communication and promotion and graphic design.  She is currently the Editor in Chief of her school's chapter of Her Campus, an editorial stylist for POLISHED Magazine and Founder and Creative Director of the Fashion Styling and Photography Club on her campus.  She can most likely be found with an old film camera in hand, eating Chipotle, or at any local Saver's.  Her Instagram can be found at @maddiiiooyx and other work can be found at madisonpaloski.wixsite.com/portfolio.