Meal in a Mug: Chocolate Chip Butterscotch Brownie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

*spray mug with nonstick cooking spray before beginning

1 tbsp butter

1 large egg yolk

2 tbsp packed brown sugar

¼ tsp vanilla extract

3 ½ tbsp. all-purpose flour

2 tbsp semisweet chocolate chips

1/8 tsp salt

• In the mug, microwave butter on High for 15-30 seconds or until melted. Using a fork, whisk in egg yolk, brown sugar and vanilla. Still using the fork, stir in flour, chocolate chips and salt until very well blended. Smooth top with your fingertips or the back of a spoon.
  • Microwave on High for 40-60 seconds (checking at 40) or until center is just set. Let cool slightly or entirely in mug. Eat directly from mug. 

Rating: 9.5/10

This recipe was difficult to make, I’m not going to lie. It was hard because I had to separate the egg, and then there were different kinds of measurement to use. Because the recipe calls for 3 ½ tablespoons of flour, I had to use 3 tablespoons and then 1 ½ teaspoons, so unfortunately there is a lot to clean up after. However, even with that it was fantastic. It tasted exactly like a cookie, just with a few different ingredients. I didn’t really see any difference between a chocolate chip cookie and this Blondie, but they’re both so delicious that it doesn’t matter. There are plenty of chocolate chips and the cookie is thick but delicious. If you’re in need of a chocolate fix for when you’re watching Netflix in your room, this is the perfect dessert. The only way this recipe would make it to a 10 rating is if I actually had vanilla ice cream on top, instead of just whipped cream. 

Photo courtesy of Danie Roberts, Her Campus Lasell contributing writer 

Danie is a 2018 graduate of Lasell College. She served as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Lasell for two years, and wrote all four years. Danie also worked for Her Campus as a Community Management intern for two semesters, and was a National Feature Writer for six months. Danie studied Communication with concentrations in Journalism and Public Relations. She is currently seeking opportunities in the editorial or music industry. Follow her on all platforms at @raniedoberts and check out her website, raniedoberts.com.