Kanye West vs. Taylor Swift: Real Thing or PR Stunt?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Some may believe that this ongoing feud between the two of them is the real thing. However, it all seems sketchy once the timeline of Kanye’s latest album release is considered.

Just when we thought the beef between Kanye West and Taylor Swift was over, Kanye released “Famous”, a song off of his latest album The Life of Pablo in which he stated:

“I feel like me and Taylor might still have sex,

Why?

I made that bitch famous,

I made that bitch famous.”

Kanye insisted that the lyrics were only in good fun, and that he used the word “bitch” as a term of endearment. He also reassured all of his fans that Taylor listened to the song prior to its release and loved it. However, less than a week later, Taylor Swift called out Kanye during her Grammy speech saying,

“As the first woman to win Album of the Year at the Grammys twice, I want to say to all the young women out there: there are going to be people along the way who will try to undercut your success or take credit for your accomplishments or your fame.”

Taylor not only confirmed that Kanye was lying about her approval, but reignited their feud.

Days later, leaked audio of Kanye West ranting about Taylor Swift and calling her a “fake ass” during his Saturday Night Live performace hit the internet. Listen to it here!

The same week that all of this was occurring, Kanye released The Life of Pablo on Tidal. Since its debut, Tidal has struggled to gain as many subscribers as competitors like Apple Music and Spotify. Kanye also shared a series a tweets stating he will never release his album on Tidal and at one points begs his followers to subscribe to Tidal.

He even went as far as to ask for donations and claimed that he is $53M in debt. It seems as though everything that has been happening with Kanye and his feud with Taylor may be part of a larger plan to get more people to buy his album.

Unfortunately, the album has since been downloaded illegally over 500,000 times. His plan to get more album sales may have just been a waste of time after all.