2018 Grammy Nominations: The Worst Snubs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

After we have had some time to deal with the Grammy nominations that released last week, it is time to talk about which artists got the worst snubs this year. With artists like Jay-Z, Lorde, and Bruno Mars sweeping up some nominations, and hit song “Despacito” along with them, it came as a shock that artists like Harry Styles, Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift, and others were not recognized for their success.

Harry Styles

It came as a shock to many that Styles’ wasn’t given any nominations this year, with the success of his debut self-titled album that came out in May, and his performance at the Grammy Museum earlier this fall. Ever since One Direction released their music for the first time almost seven years ago and failed to receive any nomination, fans thought the group had sort of a ‘Grammy curse’ placed upon them, but hoped to see it lifted with the huge success and support of Styles’ album. It seemed that Styles’ was guaranteed for a nomination, but it seems that the curse has stayed with him, even with his international fame and superior talent.

Ed Sheeran

With the release of  ÷ early this summer, it was expected to see Sheeran gain multiple nominations with his third album than just two. Even Ellen DeGeneres herself claimed she was outraged at his snubs, but in an interview with her on her YouTube channel, Sheeran replies, “My outlook on it is like, some years you have your year and some years you don’t have your year, and maybe this year wasn’t my year”, giving a positive outlook on his snubbed work this year. It seems odd to many how one of the most popular and talented stars right in our time has only two nominations this year, with his album favored by many.

Taylor Swift

Even though Swift’s Reputation album did not meet the eligibility requirement for Grammy nominations this year, hit song “Look What You Made Me Do” seemed like a strong contender for Best Music Video, but surprisingly, the star only received nods for her songwriting skills, with “I Don’t Wanna Live Forever” with Zayn, and the song she wrote for Little Big Town, “Better Man.” With Swift’s success and numerous Grammy wins and nominations in the past, her snubs are almost appalling this year, and hopefully the Grammy Academy will make it up to her next year by nominating Reputation for a few.

Katy Perry

Although she has never won a Grammy, Perry has received 13 nominations from 2009 to 2015 without missing a single year of nominations in between, and the fact that Perry has received none this year for her album Witness tells us that her career seems to be on the rocks, with her disappearing spotlight because of her problematic behaviors and low quality of her album compared to past pieces from the pop icon. Her most loyal followers seemed surprised her album got snubbed this year, and the lack of nominations reveals that maybe the Recording Academy has decided to shutout anyone who isn’t the strongest contender.

Kesha

Kesha received one nomination for her album Rainbow, but it is argued one nomination is not enough for the outstanding talent displayed on her album. Kesha’s new stripped-down sound and catchy beats apparently were not enough for the Grammy’s this year, leaving many shocked as to why she repeatedly catches snubs throughout the years.

Madi is a sophomore Fashion Communciations major at Lasell College. In addition to being a part of Her Campus, she is also a part of Empty Bowls and is a Peer Mentor. She loves Harry Styles, hanging out with friends, and thrift shopping.