This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

I’m sure many of you, like me, spent today lusting, loathing (and occasionally laughing) over the hundreds of dresses we have seen our favourite celebrities, fashionista’s and girl crushes wearing. Well, I just couldn’t keep my opinion to myself, so read on for my picks of the best and the worst…trust me, I was surprised by what I thought!

A crop top is one of the trickier looks to pull off; always has been, always will be. Perhaps even more so when the event is being held by Anna Wintour and Vogue- hello? Pressure! But of course, there were a bunch of surf-board stomached women who managed to look effortlessly gorgeous in the cropped attire.

Rihanna showed off her quirky tattoos in this white ensemble. The back cut away right up to her neck and she looked effortlessly glam. I’m toying with wanting the top to be just an inch longer, but she still looks fantastic. 

Anna Hathaway matched the carpet, looking as elegant as she always manages to.

And a cropped ensemble which for me, just doesn’t cut it comes from Emma Stone. It’s too pink, the pinks don’t match, and is the top from American Apparel and made of jersey… no? Well, it looks like it does.

[pagebreak]

I am, however, loving the thigh high slit, this was a trend which got a lot of coverage last night. Especially from Kim Kardashian, who probably deserves ‘Most Improved’ after last years’ flowery ensemble (Robin Williams, viral on social media, matching gloves- that’s the one). She and Kanye looked very smart, but wait until a picture down when we see her younger sister!

Full credit to Bespoke Topshop for designing the stunning dress Kendall Jenner wore last night. I never rate nude as a colour, but KJ pulls it off seamlessly, and looks very mature considering her years. I think we’ll be seeing a lot, lot more of Kendall. 

I’m not surprised Phillip Green wanted to get in as many shots with Kendall in Topshop as possible. Super model Jourdan Dunn also opted for a Topshop number, looking as radiant as ever in this lovely, yellow dress. Topshop designers were clearly going for elegant cuts and simple shapes this year, and they couldn’t have done better. Some dresses are so simple they get washed into a distant memory (look at Selena Gomez for an example) and others are worn with such presence, the dress doesn’t need to do any shouting. Here she is looking more Disney princess than we ever thought possible outside of Florida with Cinderella- sorry, Toni Garrn. 

Unfortunately, I think Katie Holmes was a little more blurgh than Belle in a similar shade of yellow.

[pagebreak]

From those who steered clear of the colour, we saw some fabulous monochrome pieces. Stella McCartney, of course, looked incredibly in her chic, monochrome look. 

Fashion royalty stand together, Cara wearing a black and white bandage top and trouser outfit designed by Stella herself. The pair have recognised that less was most definitely more at the Met Ball this year, and their minimal accessories let the tailoring do the talking.

[pagebreak]

Now for those which maybe haven’t gone so well. I have religiously loved everything put together by the world’s lovely Lupita, but for me, last night just didn’t live up to her usual fashion perfection.

I admire her flapper-esque boldness, but the bejewelled tree costume doesn’t work.

Another girl who I can (almost) always rely on for well put together simplicity is Alexa Chung, but again, I just think rufflesrufflesruffles are not the way forward. Unfortunately, those beautiful shoes do not make up for the bad-bridesmaid’s-dress she opted for.

[pagebreak]

Of course, as with every ball, there is a complete shining star, and last night, Sarah Jessica Parker took the crown- although how she’d fit on top of that up-do I’m not too sure…

This stunning Oscar De La Renta was eye catching and bold, but only the true Carrie Bradshaw could pull off such a glamorous, daring look. SJP, we applaud you!

[pagebreak]

Some beautiful couples took to the carpet; Victoria and David Beckham, and Blake Lively and Ryan both made picture perfect pairs. Whose look do you prefer?

David and Victoria looking immaculate with clean cuts and structured tailoring?

Or Blake and Ryan’s classic Hollywood glamour? Also, can a velvet suit be beaten? If it can, only by a gorgeous, flowing nude sequins!

More caught my eye: Nicole Richie’s long trained silver gown (topped off by her lilac locks), Beyonce’s beaded ensemble, and Reese Witherspoon getting her pink on. There are so many well dressed people out there, I can’t wait to see which make the pages of Vogue next month. Let us know which Met Gala outfits did or didn’t float your boat, tweet us @HerCampusLancs. 

English Language student who loves fashion, blogging and working hard to bag my ideal career in consumer PR.
English Language and Sociolinguistics student at Lancaster University. Writer, editor and soon to be teacher.Campus Correspondent for HC Lancaster: emilyhaigh@hercampus.com.Instagram: emilykatehaighTwitter: EMHAIGHx