you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Campus QT: Ioana-Maria Stoicu

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

Name: Ioana-Maria Stoicu

Age: 21

Home Country: Romania

College: County

Degree: Finance and Economics

Year: 3rd Are you a member of any societies? 

I’m a member of Lancaster Roses Cheerleading society and I’ve recently joined the handball club.

What made you join cheerleading?

I was thinking about joining a new society and then my friend told me about cheerleading I thought it sounded like fun. Before joining I watched some YouTube videos and did a bit of research, it looked like a different kind of sport I’ve not tried before.

Do you think it lives up to its stereotypes?

Definitely not, it’s not what you see in American films. I do believe everyone in the society is really nice and there’s no extreme drama happening. So anyone thinking about trying it out at some point should definitely give it a go!

How do you feel about being a third year?

I feel like my time at uni went by really fast and I wish I had more of it. I’m just planning on enjoying my last year here and I’ll definitely come back to visit the place where I have so many great memories.

What are your plans after university?

Next year I’m planning to do masters and then I’ll see what the future brings.

What has your university experience been like so far and would you change anything?

I’d probably join more societies in my first year and also be a bit more outgoing and talkative. I feel like I’ve missed out on a couple of things just because I was really introverted as a fresher.

What would you say to incoming first years?

I’d say just have fun, go with the flow, meet lots of new people and make as many friends as you can. Definitely go to events, or try new hobbies or sports. Enjoy your first year while it lasts!

Some fun facts about Ioana!

What do you do in your spare time?

Hang out with my friends, watch a lot of TV series and read.

So what are some of your favourite TV shows?

House MD, Prison Break, Pretty Little Liars, Revenge and Gilmore Girls.

Favourite place to eat in Lancaster?

The Study Room, I love their chicken wraps!

What is your idea of a perfect date?

Something fun like an amusement park, preferably an outside activity.

Your favourite characteristic about yourself?

I like to think I have a good sense of humour, but you’d have to ask my friends to verify that!

If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you be? 

Somewhere on a tropical island where I can swim with dolphins.

What would your dream job be?

I’m not yet sure what my dream job would be but I know I want it to be challenging and something that I can learn from, with the opportunity to travel as well.

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions, Ioana. It’s been great to see your perspective on life at Lancaster and get to know you a bit better!

Student at Lancaster University studying English Language and Literature