alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Sun-sational Tips: How to Beat the Heat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

Get your boots and scarfs ready and bring on the pumpkin spice lattes, Fall has officially begun. So why is the air so sticky and hot? If you’re a Southern California native, or have been living here for the past couple years, you know that the Summer heat extends well into other seasons, especially Fall and Winter. This upcoming week get ready to hit the 90s (and no I don’t mean the Backstreet Boys) because the temperature will reach a high of 98 accompanied by humidity around 20%. The kind of heat that will have you thinking, are you sure summer is over? As we enter this pseudo Fall, here are some tips on how to stay cool and how to BEAT THE HEAT.

Image by mintandmason.wordpress.com

First thing is first, stay hydrated. It is imperative to drink a lot of fluids to ensure you don’t suffer heat stroke. Throw a few water bottles in the freezer, or some ice in your water canteen. Not only will your water stay nice and cool, but refreshing as well. As college students, coffee or tea is a daily essential to get us through the day. Why not skip the hot coffee and throw some ice in there? Nothing tastier than a delicious sweet iced coffee, it’ll go down quicker too! As I mentioned drinking a lot of fluids is important, just try to stay away from high-sugary drinks. And sorry, but beer is not the kind of fluids you should be drinking. Beer actually does the opposite and will further dehydrate your body. Beverages that are high in sugar, like soda or juices, actually slows the body from retaining fluids or replenishing those fluids lost due to dehydration. If you really need to drink something sweet, try adding fruit to your water bottles; lemon, raspberries, cucumbers, or strawberries. This will help fix your sweet craving, and keep you feeling refreshed and hydrated as well. Speaking of fruit, most melons and cucumbers are made up mostly of water, so if you’re not a “water-person” try munching on some fruit between classes. Some good and healthy fuel for your body and brain.

Secondly, try to stay out of the heat as much as possible. Take advantage of places that have air conditioning (and wifi), get your homework or studying done in the library, the Campus Center, coffee shops, bookstores, or even the comfort of your own room. Avoid any strenuous activity during the heat. But what about your normal workout routine? You can still hit the gym, since most gyms are air conditioned inside. But if you’re privy to outdoor hikes or jogs, try waking up a little earlier before the heat starts, or perhaps enjoy your jog in the evening where you can enjoy a beautiful sunset. The heat usually starts to rise around 9am, peaks around 5pm, and starts cooling down by 9pm.

Lastly, always check the weather before heading out, most smartphones or laptops come equipped with weather apps, or check the morning news before starting your day. The summer heat was fun and all, but I’m ready for the calming breeze of the changing trees and the crunching of the Autumn leaves. I’m ready to bring out my scarves and beanies, drink some hot coffee and enjoy a funny movie snuggled up in a blanket. But until those earthy, leaf-strewn days come, grab your sunscreen, sunglasses and hats, because for now the heat is here to stay.