Predicting the Oscars Acting Categories

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

Here are the prediction for who should and who will take home oscar gold this year at the 89th Academy Awards.

Best Actor in a Leading Role:

Casey Affleck – Manchester by the Sea

Andrew Garfield – Hacksaw Ridge

Ryan Gosling – La La Land

Viggo Mortensen – Captain Fantastic

Denzel Washington – Fences

Who Should Win : Casey Affleck  

Casey Affleck delivered the performance of a lifetime in his grief-stricken and somber role of a man who will never forgive his actions from the past. It’s a grounded performance that deals with the reality of pain, loss, and suffering and Affleck nails it. Although Affleck definitley had all the buzz and early wins going on, some personal outside factors as well as another actor getting late buzz before the final voting poll on the 13th could hurt his chances. Let’s hope Affleck will be recognized for his crowning career performance this sunday. 

Who Will Win : Denzel Washington

Washington has played his character hundreds of times on the stage version of his film. So it’s only fitting that he would nail it once again on the silver screen. Denzel’s performance is dynamic and vibrant in his character’s aguish and borderline bi-polar personality. The love for Denzel has grown more and more as well thanks the Christmas release of Fences. Don’t be surprised if you see Denzel nab his 3rd Oscar from an Academy that loves him. 

Complete Oscar Snub : Colin Farrell in The Lobster (take out Viggo Mortensen)

Best Actress in a Leading Role : 

Isabelle Huppert – Elle

Ruth Negga – Loving

Natalie Portman – Jackie

Emma Stone – La La Land

Meryl Streep – Florence Foster Jenkins

Who Should Win : Emma Stone

She can sing, dance, act and become versatile in a role where an already established actress like Stone has to play off that she can’t get the opportunities to continue achieving her dreams. Her voice in angelic and her heart illuminates the soul astonishingly well with Gosling in La La Land. Not to mention her final musical scene is one for the ages, culminating in a musical number that sings to an audience that has ever felt like their goals and aspirations could always be achieved no matter how many times we fail as long as we have that madness to continue going on. Stone will get her first Oscar Sunday night.

Who Will Win : Emma Stone

Complete Oscar Snub : Amy Adams in Arrival (take out Meryl Streep)

Best Actor in a Supporting Role : 

Mahershala Ali – Moonlight

Jeff Bridges – Hell or Highwater

Lucas Hedges – Manchester by the Sea

Dev Patel – Lion

Michael Shannon – Nocturnal Animals

Who Should Win : Mahershala Ali

Although the other nominees from their respective films were also phenomenal, what Ali was able to do in his 15 minutes or less of screen time was creating an original, different and unique take on a character that hasn’t been expressed in that way before and even long after his character is no longer in the film, we feel his presence and his soul through Moonlight’s primary character. We want to see more of him and that want just adds to his performance. It’s rich, emotional, and Mahershala deserves the win. 

Who Will Win : Mahershala Ali

Complete Oscar Snub : Mykelti Williamson in Fences (take out Lucas Hedges)

Best Actress in a Supporting Role:

Viola Davis – Fences

Naomie Harris – Moonlight

Nicole Kidman – Lion

Octavia Spencer – Hidden Figures

Michelle Williams – Manchester by the Sea

Who Should Win : Naomie Harris 

She shot her scenes in 3 days and has maybe 4-5 scenes total and she rocked it. If it were any other year, Harris would get the gold. 

Who Will Win : Viola Davis

After being snubbed 5 years ago in a shocking upset to Meryl Streep’s over the top Iron Lady performance, Davis is terrific and overdue to the Academy for an oscar win. She steals the show in Fences and will certainly win her first Oscar. 

I love reading, writing and especially watching films :) Movies and writing about them inspire to dream beyond reality :)
Here to report everyday news and make it interesting. Spicing up a twist on my daily sass to put some flavor in my articles. Enjoy your read. Arcadia High School Graduate University of La Verne Attendee   Check me out!  Instagram: gowiththeflo_ra See what I like to blog? floraawong.tumblr.com Personal questions? Email me: floraw1997@gmail.com