This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

Alexis Coria and  Alaia Azarcon were recently elected as the new ASULV president and  executive vice president! Here is a little more about the incredible Alaia Azarcon, our new VP!

Major: Kinesiology

Minor: Speech Communications

Celebrity crushes? Liam Hemsworth, Eric Decker, Yasiel Puig, Zac Efron (sorry I have so many!)

What do you like to do on your free time?

I love going to the beach (especially Laguna and Newport), definitely my get away. Also love spending time with my entire family. I also have a passion for traveling! This summer I will be going to a different part of Europe that I have never been too.

What other things are you involved in?

I am also involved in many other things besides ASULV. I am the Vice President of Finance for Sigma Kappa Sorority. I was a preview day and spotlight weekend representative of the transfer students on campus. I am also an intern at Casa Colina Hospital working in the occupational therapy field. 

How did you guys become a team?

We became a team because I originally wanted her to run as President for ASULV. I never knew who would become her Executive Vice President until we both realized we would make a great team together. 

Why did you guys want to run?

We ran together because we knew with our different work ethics and styles, we would create a better university together. We both have the same passions for ASULV, which is how we created our three values (aka the three c’s): community, communication, and connection.

How did you feel when you found out you won?

When we won, I actually started tearing up. Once our names were said, we stood up and hugged each other and during our hug I felt all our hard work finally come to play. It has been a week since we found out, and we still feel this is all unreal and a crazy dream. We have planned a few meetings already with our ASULV advisors and are more than excited for the year to come.

What type of changes do you hope to implement?

As we hope to implement our three values of community, communication, and connection, we hope to continue creating transparency within our administration and students. Often times, students do not realize the changes that ASULV does which is why we want to create better connections with the students. During our campaigning week, we actually met with a few of our clubs and organizations asking what ASULV could better improve on for them. We received great feedback, and since we are the newly elects, we cannot wait to continue creating an effective communication system with our students and administration.

What is your biggest goal for your term?

My biggest goal for the university is to bring back the University of La Verne values of inclusivity and diversity. Since La Verne is a commuter school, we want all students to be welcomed to any major events, activities and clubs. The University is growing more and we want our students to make the best of their four years here. Besides creating a better connection with our students, I hope to communicate more with administration, starting with President Lieberman and Provost Reed. ASULV has been in contact with these two individual’s whether it is accomplishments or problems. I hope to continue engaging with these two as Executive Vice President. 

Last question! Any inspirational quotes you live by?

I do have a few quotes I live by. But my main one is from the movie “Pursuit of Happiness” — You got a dream, you gotta protect it. People can’t do something themselves, they wanna tell you that you can’t do it. You want something? Go get it. Period.

We hope these incredible ladies have an amazing term during the 2016-2017 school year!

Taylor is a psychology major (and a One Direction enthusiast) attending the University of La Verne in Southern California. When she isn't studying, you can find her reading and binge-watching Peaky Blinders or The Resident.