How to fight the Spring Slump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

Don’t let this be you! Fight the Spring Slump!

Summer: the mirage at the end of your midterms and the week after Spring Break. When will the semester end?! We’re all feeling it—it’s the spring slump.

Whether or not you’re ready to get into the ring, here are 5 steps to fight the spring slump!

1. Prioritize.

It can get really tempting to slack off on keeping your tasks and appointments organized as they begin to feel more and more like a drag. Stay accountable to a planner or even make your own countdown to summer. These can help keep you motivated and moving. Keeping tasks together on a list will feel a lot less overwhelming than having them all swimming in your tired mind, and nothing relieves the pressure of a hefty to-do list than crossing off everything you’ve completed!

2. Remember summer is coming!

Did you know that planning for your summer can help you get through what’s on your schedule today? If your summer includes travel, an internship, or an important check off your bucket list, there’s some serious planning to be done! The best part is you can feel productive getting organized about your summertime fun. Looking forward to those adventures makes today’s hard work all the more worth it.

3. Take care of yourself.

DON’T surrender to starving yourself for school and work and eating a ton late at night. DON’T nix your sleep for coffee and energy drinks. DO make sure your health doesn’t get lost in the mix when it comes to the end of semester push. Going to bed and waking up at a similar time every night and every morning can do wonders for your energy and, also your mood and overall effectiveness. Keep active and exercise, or get out for some fresh air and take a walk. Self-discipline doesn’t have to mean self-punishment. Give your mind and body the rest and nourishment it needs. Sometimes that nourishment will be a Reese’s cup, but not 20.

4. Make time for fun!

Whether it’s some alone time or time with friends, make time to do the things you enjoy. Say yes to some spur of the moment adventures. Celebrate birthdays and midterms being over and every other victory with people you love. If you’re creative, take some time outside and just doodle. Get your blood flowing and melt stress away with a good workout. Get out and see some live music. The last two months of the semester do not need to be spent alone stuck in your room or the library.

5. Find your center.

What’s important to you? Is it friends? Family? Think about your dreams and who you want to be. Where do you want to go? What’s your motivation? Reflect on what you want to achieve and what you’ve already overcome. When you think about it, there really is a lot behind you! Focus on what’s most important to you and go from there. College won’t last forever and neither will your job. Strive for the person you hope to become through all that you’re working on. Be hopeful for the future and face your classes and work with the knowledge that you can be great.

Finally, enjoy every minute you’ve got left in glorious land of college and get excited for what’s to come!

Image Source: http://amitjathar007.blogspot.com/2010/11/why-do-we-feel-tired-by-noon.html

Melanie Loon is an aspiring writer and all-around creative studying Mulitimedia Communications at the University of La Verne. A born and raised "Valley Girl," she loves Jesus, family, food, and all things Anthropologie. She can be found on Instagram @melaniespoon.