The Accountant Movie Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

The Accountant is directed by Gavin O’ Connor and stars Ben Affleck as a math savant who uncooks the books for dnagerous clients. Let’s take a look at some of the best  moments featured in this film. 

Positives:

The Realistic Portrayal of Mental Ilness and the performances associated with them:

The best thing about The Accountant is how it has a hopeful and beautiful message towards those who have autism and other mental illnesses. It shines a light on how there is still genius found in every individual and how the restoration of love and care for one another can lead to a brighter outlook on this area of mental health. Ben Affleck does a terrific job as the titualar role, perfecting the mannerisms of autism with his speech, personality, and the way he carries himself throughout the film. 

The Supporting Cast:

A supporting cast that includes J.K Simmons, Anna Kendrick, Jon Bernthal etc. really deliver in each of their pivotal riles that are vital to the success of the narrative flow. Each role remains mysterious and slowly unravels, which is done very well in a screenplay full of subplots and buildup.

The Action Sequences:

The style and choreography of the action sequences, while not very many, are still stellar and show just enough in every angle to feel as brutal and dark as it needs to be. What makes it more satisfying is the build up to these sequences, culmintating in badass fight scenes and spy-like take downs. 

Final Verdict:

While the film can take its time to tell the full story, its a bold and smart move that this was done to fully flesh out each character arc in the film. More than the film is a thriller, it is actually a drama centered around the dark matters people take, and the paths of redemption some find, while some for greed, and others for a sense of something to leave behind. We have all been there, and while The Accountant has highly ficitious action sequences and narrative, some of its core subject matter stands out. 

Final Grade: A

I love reading, writing and especially watching films :) Movies and writing about them inspire to dream beyond reality :)