What is Trump Really Saying about Women?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

This has been a busy week for President Trump. The week began with plans for the defunding of the Obama’s “Let Girls Learn” program. And now he has abolished the ACA and replaced it with the AHCA.

First lets talk about the Let Girls Learn program: this program was started by both Michelle and Barack Obama back in 2015. The purpose, as the title suggests, is to provide more educational opportunities for females in developing nations. This program was run primarily by Peace Corpse volunteers in Third World countries where girls’ education is often not even considered to be an option due to their inferior societal status. The program also focused on empowering young adolescent females. While we are not sure what the defunding means for the future of this program, a private White House memo states that “Let Girls Learn” will cease existence as a stand alone program and will no longer exist by that name. Peace Corpse is still promising to do everything in their power to continue educating and empowering young women across the world.

Secondly, as of May 4, the Affordable Care Act is out and will be replaced by the American Healthcare Act. So, what does this mean for the adolescence of America? Well for starts as of now Planned Parenthood and other “family planning” organizations will not be able to receive government funds for the next year. There is no talk of whether after this year they will begin receiving funding again, but as of now for at least the next year the government will not support them. Also The AHCA will not be covering a long list of people with “pre-existing conditions.” In case you’re wondering why this term appears in quotes, it’s because many pre-existing conditions that appear on this list are not what we typically think of. These include pregnancy, sex reassignment, transsexualism, obesity, and acne.

With all this happening in one week, there is no doubt that it is incredibly overwhelming. It leaves me wondering what Trump is really saying about women. As he has defunded Planned Parenthood, a place that women can receive many things including birth control. Yet he considers pregnancy to be a pre-existing condition that will not be covered under our health care plan. And also has put into motion the defunding of female education in developing nations. Are our rights simply just another budget cut to you, Mr. President?

Here’s a lovely photograph of all the happy white dudes who voted for this bill: