Times Change, so do Friendships: An Ode to my BFF

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Friends come and go: it’s life. There are some people you just drift away from, whether life gets in the way, arguments ensue, etc. I’ve had a fair share of these friends come and go, but there’s always been one person in my life who has been there for me for nearly two decades. Kenzie, this is our friendship in 500 words or less.

We’ve been friends since the dawn of time. Literally…I mean, I really don’t remember a time in my life when we weren’t friends. The early years are some of the happiest memories of my childhood. Having you by my side was—and is—the biggest blessing I’ve ever had.

Nothing will beat the days when we used to play Sims for hours in your basement, cut Bratz dolls’ hair in your room secretly, and explore the woods behind your house. Those were the days of pool parties (I’ll NEVER forget that blow up shark. Ever.) and “My mom will pick up if your mom drops off!” We watched scary R-rated movies up until 6 am and ate snacks until we were sick. On our first vacation together, we were boy crazy and took selfies before they were cool. We cheered each other on at swim meets and dance recitals (and our infamous talent show performances). We’ve been there for each other for heartbreak, birthdays, and everything in between.

Times have changed…now we text maybe once a week and see each other every few months or so. But when we do see each other, it’s like we haven’t just spent the past few months apart.

Instead of cutting Bratz dolls’ hair, we are doing each other’s makeup and picking out outfits for the bar. Instead of pre-pubescent selfies, it’s ugly snapchats.  Instead of playing Sims, we are working hard on our degrees (May=Graduation=WHERE DID TIME GO!?). Instead of having our moms pick us up, we are driving distances to see each other. Instead of cheering each other on at sports, we are cheering each other on in our budding new careers and giving each other advice and support for our next moves.

Through all the hard times, you have been the constant light and positive energy I need to continue on. You’re the person I can talk to about anything, judgment free. You give me the reality check I often need. You’re the person who would help me bury the body if I ever killed someone. You are the most fun a person can be, selfless, kind, and true to yourself no matter the circumstance. You are what I look forward to seeing most, my oldest and dearest friend.

Thank you for your endless love and for teaching me some of the most valuable lessons life has to offer. I can’t wait to see where we will be in another 20 years.

Okay, sappy sh*t over. Shots?

21 years old, always lost, but finding meaning in life in the little things. Give me a crappy cup of coffee, a laugh and a smile and we'll be friends. Love yourself.