You Won’t Sleep After Watching These…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Halloween is right around the corner, and what better way to embrace the season than watching scary movies! If you are anything like me, you enjoy seeking out the scariest of all the scary and ranking them with ones previously watched. As a “professional scary movie watcher” here is a ranking of some of THE scariest movies of all time.

1.     “The Shining” (1980)

Based on the novel by the famous Stephen King, “The Shining” is the ultimate scary movie known around the world. You are submerged into the life of the Torrance’s and their new adventure of watching over a hotel in the middle of nowhere, during the winter. Here an evil, demonic spirit has emerged and there is no one there to save them. “REDRUM, REDRUM, REDRUM” (You will soon find out the meaning of this). Warning: you will never look at Jack Nicholson the same again.

Rating- 3.5/5

2.     “Rosemary’s Baby” (1968)

Watch Mia Farrow as her life gets turned upside after moving into a new apartment with her husband. To put it lightly, she becomes Satan’s slave and slowly realizes what is happening to her. As given away by the title, she becomes pregnant and yes, you guessed it, it’s Satan’s baby. (I had to watch this with the volume muted). This terrifying horror will seriously haunt your dreams for months to come. Proceed with caution.

Rating- 3.5/5

3.     “The Amityville Horror” (1979) NOT the newer version

The fact that this is based off a true story is the alarming part. Imagine moving into a house where a murder occurred. First of all, when would that EVER be a good idea? The Lutz family has recently moved into a house in Long Island, and soon after strange things seem to be happening. You will definitely jump out of your seat while watching this one!

(Side note: I visited this house in Long Island last summer, and there were about 20 other cars doing the same thing! I was too scared to get out of the car, especially because there was an eerie feeling around the house. SCARY.)

Rating- 3/5

4.     “The Exorcist” (1973)

Okay, seriously if you don’t like scary movies DO NOT watch this movie. This is by far, if not the scariest, one of the scariest movies out there. “The Exorcist” is known by many, but forgotten by few. This movie, I believe, is so scary because of the crude Linda Blair, whose shocking performance will ring in your ears. Do yourself a favor and watch the director’s cut.

Rating- 5/5

5.     “Psycho” (1960)

This Alfred Hitchcock thriller is said to be the scariest movie of all time. Marion Crane has runway from her previous life, to a motel in the middle of nowhere. Under complete control of his dead mother, Norman Bates is the caretaker of the motel and soon becomes fascinated with Marion. I don’t want to give anything away, but this will haunt your dreams and give you the goose bumps.

Rating- 5/5

6.     “Silence of the Lambs” (1991)

Many people’s scariest nightmare, I would imagine, would be to talk to a serial killer. In this movie, an incarcerated serial killer is the only one who can prevent present murders from occurring in which the murderer skins the victims. To save the missing woman, an FBI agent must confide in the imprisoned killer in order to get information out of him.

Rating- 4/5

7.     “The Descent” (2005)

When six friends embark on a cave expedition, they realize they aren’t the only ones in there. Unknown forces are haunting the girls, and to top it all off they are stranded inside this cave with no map and very few resources to survive. I recommend watching this during the daytime, because you will be terrified of the dark after this thriller.

Rating- 4.5/5