This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Before her sophomore year of high school, Tori Searles was just Tori, a good student with a passion for all things music and a desire to help others. A naturally cheery and sunny person, she earned the nickname “Sunflower” from a friend who appreciated that sunny demeanor and admired her musical skills. This same friend was the catalyst of Searles’ blooming music career; a member of a collective of rappers, singers, and producers called The Ark, he asked her to sing the chorus on their newest song at the time, “More and More.” Shortly after, Searles began writing and producing her own music under the stage name “Sunflower.”

[Pictured: Searles (4th from left) with The Ark, a collective of rappers, singers, and producers, after a show at The Jackpot in Lawrence.]

Drawing inspiration from artists like Alina Baraz and Kehlani, Searles describes her genre as a mix of alternative and experimental R&B, with an occasional acoustic piece on guitar. Her music-making process is far from habitual, and a song idea could come to her at any moment. “I can’t really just sit down and make myself write a song, it usually just pops up,” Searles said.

Now she’s a freshman at KU, working towards a degree in Music Therapy, which she describes as “using music to reach non-music goals.” Having grown up in Topeka, Kansas, Searles chose KU in part for its location, as Lawrence boasts an impressive music scene and is close enough to friends who can help her with her music.  

[Pictured: Searles performing at The Boobie Trap in Topeka.]

As for her future, Searles’ dream career is to make a living off of her music, but she would prefer to avoid superstar status: “you know, nothing like an Ariana Grande, pop star following.” She wants to utilize her education in Music Therapy and hopes to one day be a traveling music therapist, moving around the country in a tiny portable home and teaching music to people of all ages, especially kids. But for now, 18-year-old Searles is taking things one day at a time, perfecting her music skills as she simultaneously fosters her love for the Harry Potter series and doodles in her free time.

Instagram: @sunfloweroftheark

Twitter: @snflwroftheark

SoundCloud: @sunfloweroftheark